Lowering links

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
clutchspring

Lowering links

Post by clutchspring »

Hi, I have recently purchased a 2019 v Strom 1000 which came fitted with lust racing lowering links and I'd like to know if the front forks need to be lowered slightly to keep the handling / geometry the same !.

Thanks,
Ian.
Tonibe63

Re: Lowering links

Post by Tonibe63 »

If you only lower the rear then the steering head angle will be wrong. This might not be noticeable on the straight but on the bends where the rear may squat (especially if carrying a pillion and/or luggage) it will make the steering head angle even worse and potentially push the front end wide. Dropping the front to match the rear drop will help with preventing this.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

It's going to depend on what the rider notices.
I lowered my Tiger 800 with some lowering links, didn't touch the front end, and to be honest the bike feels better to ride all round.
Originally my bike was an 800XC with the 21" front wheel which i swapped for the 19" front from the Roadie as it's known, i then dropped the forks as i thought there was a noticeable difference in handling. But as i said, after lowering the rear with the 19" wheel it feels better.
scaley

Post by scaley »

As Tonibe63 says, lowering the rear without adjusting the front will slow the steering. The bike will be more stable in a straight line , but will be harder to turn into corners.
On my XT1200 I lowered the rear by 30mm and raised the forks 13mm through the yokes. This was as much as I could get away with due to the shape of the forks.
It would be best to check the fork height on a 'standard' bike JIC adjustments have already been made.
Regards

Scaley

Return to “TECHNICAL”