viewranger

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Re: viewranger

Post by daveuprite »

simonw wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:40 pm Yeah, I don't find OSM as good as OS for BOATs etc in the UK.

Re phone vs camera - it depends what you want to do with the photos. A lot of phone cameras are now very good, and if you just want to take some snaps to show friends or post on the forum, a decent phone camera will be fine. But if you want a 20x30 to hang on the wall they might struggle!
Exactly Simon. I used to be a fairly keen photographer, but that was back in 35mm / 6x6 film days. I had a darkroom and did my own processing and printing. Digital has spoiled photography for me, even though I know that it's massively more convenient now. I understand shutter speeds, apertures, depth of field, film speeds etc etc very well, but I've never transferred that over into getting good results in digital. My fault. I just never sat down and learned the new way of doing thing. I've now become a point-and-shoot auto-mode picture-taker.

I use a Pentax bridge camera for pics now, so the phone is not for high quality, but it will be useful to be able to take one device on holiday, especially if it's also got the maps on. And the main subject of my photography now is a recently fallen rider in a cold stream - which doesn't really require a Hassleblad!
bowber

Post by bowber »

As far as I know you only need to subscribe for the extras, you buy points and use them to download map tiles, or you do in the uk. When I was passing through France last year I had a sub to the French maps but never used them. Most of the time I use open cycle maps in France and Spain.

Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

chipy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:17 pm Does anyone use viewranger for navigation out on the lanes?

If so what are you using it on?

any advice would be a great help.
Yep, best thing I ever used to help me get lost. :lol: I still use a very early version of the VR app, as the newer versions are too busy with trying you to share routes and social media crap.

I played with it once on a phone ,and then moved to a 7" tablet and mounted under the clear map case on a tankbag. Great for the more elderly amongst us with crap eyesight, and I couple it with a pair of VoltX bifocal safety glasses. Got a USB plug under teh seat, and plug a 1m long cable into it to power the tablet. Also used to charge phones on bigger trips ;)

I have all the UK maps, purchased at a discount. In theory, they are out of date now but lets be honest, the lanes don't move... Also got a number of Spanish and French area tiles.

I have a Montana and use the Viewranger desktop software to produce routes, save them as a gpx file, and send it to the Montana for use on the bike, BUT, the tablet is easier to see....
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Apparently a few of the more high tech phone cameras can be killed by vibration, so beware of hard mounting.

A chap I know thinks his Huawei's camera died after he fixed it to his bike (GS) and recently TMF was complaining about an I-phone too.

Not sure if its isolated incidents, but be careful if your camera phone has moving parts and you go off-road.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

SteveR wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:41 pm
chipy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:17 pm Does anyone use viewranger for navigation out on the lanes?

If so what are you using it on?

any advice would be a great help.
Yep, best thing I ever used to help me get lost. :lol: I still use a very early version of the VR app, as the newer versions are too busy with trying you to share routes and social media crap.

I played with it once on a phone ,and then moved to a 7" tablet and mounted under the clear map case on a tankbag. Great for the more elderly amongst us with crap eyesight, and I couple it with a pair of VoltX bifocal safety glasses. Got a USB plug under teh seat, and plug a 1m long cable into it to power the tablet. Also used to charge phones on bigger trips ;)

I have all the UK maps, purchased at a discount. In theory, they are out of date now but lets be honest, the lanes don't move... Also got a number of Spanish and French area tiles.

I have a Montana and use the Viewranger desktop software to produce routes, save them as a gpx file, and send it to the Montana for use on the bike, BUT, the tablet is easier to see....
I loved my Garmin GPS map60c and map62stc but the reality is i cannot see the screen very well these days with my rubbish eyesight. I have viewranger and google maps preloaded with the areas i am visiting so i don,t use my phone data and just work off gps but i am reluctant to mount my phone on the bike. I purchased a cheap Google nexus tablet secondhand and just loaded it with mapping software(preloaded maps again) and a speedo app with double trip meter etc. The speedo app can also show the moving map just like a dedicated GPS. I mounted it in a silicone softshell case and it fits perfectly in a RAM mounts tablet mount. The screen is much easier to see.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:25 pm Apparently a few of the more high tech phone cameras can be killed by vibration, so beware of hard mounting.

A chap I know thinks his Huawei's camera died after he fixed it to his bike (GS) and recently TMF was complaining about an I-phone too.

Not sure if its isolated incidents, but be careful if your camera phone has moving parts and you go off-road.
Quite a common complaint, mine is a stand alone gps only rugged phone so I don't care about the camera, or phone calls.

Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:25 pm Apparently a few of the more high tech phone cameras can be killed by vibration, so beware of hard mounting.

One of teh reasons I like my tablet inside a tankbag ;)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Wanting a new small tankbag for the SWM and looking at Autokicker kit on fleabay and they have some good offers on small bags suitable for a phone or car type GPS

Had a couple of their bags in the past and found them good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/revolutionco ... 7675.l2562
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SteveR wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 pm Wanting a new small tankbag for the SWM and looking at Autokicker kit on fleabay and they have some good offers ATM on very small bags suitable for a phone or car type GPS.

Had a couple of their bags in the past and found them good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/revolutionco ... 7675.l2562
Last edited by SteveR on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:31 pmExactly Simon. I used to be a fairly keen photographer, but that was back in 35mm / 6x6 film days. I had a darkroom and did my own processing and printing. Digital has spoiled photography for me, even though I know that it's massively more convenient now. I understand shutter speeds, apertures, depth of field, film speeds etc etc very well, but I've never transferred that over into getting good results in digital. My fault. I just never sat down and learned the new way of doing thing. I've now become a point-and-shoot auto-mode picture-taker.<snip>

All of the stuff you mentioned - shutter, ISO, aperture etc all still applies. The only thing that's different is the capture medium (cards instead of rolls) and the post processing activity (which is massively easier than messing around with cupboards under stairs and weird red lights!). And the modern cameras are amazing. I was shooting inside a (lit) cave in Sicily last year, hand held at ISO 6400,1/25th, f5.6 (for example) mostly manual, on a Nikon Z6 mirrorless, and getting incredible results that wouldn't have been possible with film. The high ISO performance is just extraordinary. And if I just want to point and shoot I can switch to full auto or aperture/shutter priority too.

Return to “TECHNICAL”