viewranger

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chipy

Re: viewranger

Post by chipy »

Thanks for the replys eveyone, just ordered a waterproof case for my phone and will give it atry on the bike.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:57 pm I'm very interested in this. Tracie has finally managed to drag me into this century by buying me a smart phone. I don't really want it and I don't think I will like it, but it's here now and I have to find a way of getting on with it.
Like the throttle, how you use it is entirely up to you :-) (Although if you're concerned about privacy and it's an Android phone, you'll want to turn a shed load of settings off. )
As I understand it I should download the viewranger app and pay the 5 quid for the premium subscription. Then I can buy a subscription to the French IGN map (17 quid per year) and I'll add Spain just before I go there next.

Is that right? Is that the order to do things in?
If it's your first smartphone and you're not sure how much you'll like it or use it, perhaps it might be better to download the free version of OSMand and a local map for you to get a feel for how it all works. Whilst the interface for OSMand can be confusing, it's easy enough to do the basics (find your current location on the map, zoom in and out, work out where to go etc. Then if all works out and OSMand doesn't quote give you what you want/need, then perhaps investigate alternatives, including the paid options.
simonw

Post by simonw »

Deleted duplicate post.
Last edited by simonw on Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Thanks Simon. I need all the advice I can get. From the Viewranger web-site it looks like I can have 7 days free trial before committing to a subscription, so I might give that a go. I will be using the GPS mostly off-road so that's why I'm thinking about viewranger, which can use the superb french IGN maps. But if I'm talking crap feel free to tell me. When it comes to phones and apps etc I am Mr Ignorant from No.1 Knownothing Street, Stupidville.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You don't need to subscribe.... That's for model makers monthly lol... Just pay once and download the ign France and ign Spain maps to a huge 16gb class 10 card... Sorted..

Well works for me now I'm a tight git.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:24 pm to a huge 16gb class 10 card... Sorted..
I'm getting other advice to buy a larger memory card, maybe 64GB - to store photos and videos as well as maps. Are they talking crap or should I do that? It only costs a few quid more...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

My view for what it's worth is using a phone to video a ride is a dum ass idea as they are designed to record daisy late night exploits not a load of biking in the trees lol.. The cameras are okay but basic... I use my main phone as its got a leica lens but even that can't compete against a cheap camera...

Depends on what you want... As a rugged satnva they are ace... And when needed using Google can find fuel or food etc..

Practise makes for a stressless life.. Don't get Phil involved it confuses him... Lol.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

As a more specific reply... I found on recent French trip that osmand maps don't show all the cheimin tracks and dosent differentiant between a gr or a rural track when compared to a ign map..... Hence why the viewranger maps are better imho...
simonw

Post by simonw »

Yeah, I don't find OSM as good as OS for BOATs etc in the UK.

Re phone vs camera - it depends what you want to do with the photos. A lot of phone cameras are now very good, and if you just want to take some snaps to show friends or post on the forum, a decent phone camera will be fine. But if you want a 20x30 to hang on the wall they might struggle!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tramp wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 pm Don't get Phil involved it confuses him... Lol.
Yes, it doesn't take much frankly.

This is why I'm asking you folks and not him. Steve is hopeless too. On his Garmin he can only find Tarbes, which of course is great if that's where you're headed... :D

Return to “TECHNICAL”