Bmw new no maintemce chain

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Chalky723

Re: Bmw new no maintemce chain

Post by Chalky723 »

I always use a drip oiler, normally set to a robust flow, so it washes grit & dirt out as well as lubricating.

I barely have to adjust the chain, until very near the end of it's life (Normally around 22-25k miles)

D
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Having ridden Guzzi for a number of years and MZs I find non enclosed chains a pain. I have a PD oiler filled with chainsaw oil which works well on my Himalayan. I haven’t used WD40 and would be wary of using it on anything with plastic seals as I know from experience that it can make the rubber seals on plug caps and the nylon lining of some cables expand. If it does this on the O rings on chains it could in theory reduce chain life. Cheers
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I too steer clear of WD-40 for the reason mentioned above.
Years ago I used a Scottoiler with the large touring reservoir behind the number plate.
28,000 miles from two successive chain and sprocket kits. New and aftermarket. No cleaning or adjustments needed between services....until the last few thousand miles.

On my F800GS I went with chain lube from a can and not as much cleaning as I should have done. 15 to 18,000 miles out of each set. My preference was DID X-Ring where available.

A BMW maintenance free chain??? I’m sceptical. Time will tell though. You never know, they might get it right first time and then make it worse and less reliable over time.....like they did with their shaft drive system.

Return to “TECHNICAL”