Post off, starting problems!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SteveR

Post off, starting problems!

Post by SteveR »

My nephew had his first "Off" last week on Gertrude the Transalp, formerly in my ownership, which after a brief trip to Dudley for 2 years,, it has spent 2 or 3 years in Guildford with Sam. First time it's ever been on the deck I think, other than my off-road indiscretions...

Few bumps and bruises on man and machine, but nothing too serious I believe...

BUT, Sam went out to the bike a couple of days back, to have a look and see about getting her home. However, it will not start, as in no turning over on the starter at all. Plenty of power in the battery etc.

Double checked kill switch and all OK! ;) I am wondering if the sidestand/clutch cutouts may be an issue... however Sam say's it all loooks OK. Bit hard to test anything when its 150 miles away though...!

Any other suggestions of a possible culprit gratefully received... ;) The bike went down, but was put on the centrestand pretty well straight away from what I gather.
hotbulb

Re: Post off, starting problems!

Post by hotbulb »

I don't think the older (carbed) TAs have one but, how about a "tip-over" switch that needs resetting.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Bridge the solenoid and see if she cranks...watch out, there will be lots of sparks!
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

can you get a wire direct from live(battery) to the solenoid? ie bypass everything to check the starter. Also I had a 99 alp for many years and a fair few batteries, mine had to have a real good kick in the battery to get it to start, when the battery started to decline it would turn over almost as normal but refused to fire, I learnt the symptom over 70k miles.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

beat me to it.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Steve,

As already mentioned - the battery. If there was a load of sludge in the bottom of it, then the tip could have shorted out the plates inside the battery. Or even just a loose connection.

Difficult to sort (for you) when your that far away :roll: .

Pigugly should have thoughts on it as well - give him a shout on that other place ;)

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

hotbulb wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:23 pm I don't think the older (carbed) TAs have one but, how about a "tip-over" switch that needs resetting.
Hmmmm, not thought of that one I must say :-)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Steve T wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:11 am Steve,

As already mentioned - the battery. If there was a load of sludge in the bottom of it, then the tip could have shorted out the plates inside the battery. Or even just a loose connection.

Difficult to sort (for you) when your that far away :roll: .

Pigugly should have thoughts on it as well - give him a shout on that other place ;)

Steve T

8-)
Could well be some age about the battery....

I have to admit, I haven't seen 'owt much from Phil this year, need to drop him a line sometime and catch up on what he's up to, beyong raising a family thta is... I know he moved to the East Coast last year sometime...
Last edited by SteveR on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

THanks all, I will forward the thread onto Sam for his consideration and ponderings!

Jump leads was going to be my suggestion to rule out a failing battery. Short the solenoid will be fun...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You can undo the lead to the starter at the solenoid and touch it to the other pole. Sparks will fly!

Safer than doing it the other way around because you don't risk touching the battery lead on the frame in all the excitement and discovering you've learned how to weld!

:)

Return to “TECHNICAL”