Anyone had a Fireblade ('99) ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Bart1

Re: Anyone had a Fireblade ('99) ?

Post by Bart1 »

Forgot to say, a weak spot seems to be the front discs, the OE ones seems to warp around 15k and I'm not that heavy on the brakes either, so a test ride would be good to check. The current set I have are some "good value" Chinese ones which so far have lasted longer (they are slightly thicker). Also I had the bike rejetted years ago for a K&N air filter with the Quil road can, they have slight flat spot around 4k rpm.

Let us know if you buy the Blade.
soho

Post by soho »

Folks, thanks for all your input.
Been a bit of delay as I got sidetracked by the purchase of another Africa Twin ( as if I really needed another one ! ).
Anyways took the 900 hundred for a spin yesterday and bought it ten minutes later. I'll pick it up in a few days when I have time and no doubt flash some photo's up.............

F**K me it's fast innit. :D
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

soho wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am Been a bit of delay as I got sidetracked by the purchase of another Africa Twin ( as if I really needed another one ! ).
Pictures/descriptions etc. are needed (assuming it's the proper - i.e. 650 or 750 - @) !
soho

Post by soho »

mark vb wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:55 am
soho wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am Been a bit of delay as I got sidetracked by the purchase of another Africa Twin ( as if I really needed another one ! ).
Pictures/descriptions etc. are needed (assuming it's the proper - i.e. 650 or 750 - @) !
It's a 97 RD07, I've now half stripped it down for a rebuild. That was probably unwise what with the Blade arriving next week coupled with my inability to remain focused.

Alright I'm going right off course here. I bought an AT project bike a while back which sat unfinished for ages, till XRV'er Machiru bought it off me and did one of the best resto's I've ever seen. Look -
before and after !
Machiru with my old Blue whale =
Machiru.png
Machiru.png (808.15 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
And what he did with it ! =
BLUE BIKE.png
BLUE BIKE.png (796.8 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
It was a quite exceptional build, have a look here if you like.https://www.xrv.org.uk/threads/restorin ... se.115753/

I doubt I'll get very far with my latest, but that's the way it is. Some of us talk the talk and then there are the Machiru's, ;)
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Sorry to stay off-topic..... yeah, I followed Machiru's rebuild quite closely, he did a great job and also gave us all a lot of useful info and thoughts on many @-related issues. There've been further interesting rebuilds on xrv.org more recently, currently Aussie Twin's which looks to be another cracker. Look forward to your rebuild thread 😎
soho

Post by soho »

Blade insurance ?...................Fully comp' - 5000miles - locked garage = 88quid. That's cheeper than any of my other non business bikes !

Reeeesult. 8-)

Return to “TECHNICAL”