breaking that b!!!!!d bead how do you? solo on the trail.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
mechanic

Re: breaking that b!!!!!d bead how do you? solo on the trail.

Post by mechanic »

Lyndons a great guy, much respect. But I’m not sure though how easy it would be for me to put 2 levers back to back in between the tyre and the the REAR rim when the bead was still UNBROKEN.?? In order to unseat the tyre. Or have I overlooked something?
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

mechanic wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm Lyndons a great guy, much respect. But I’m not sure though how easy it would be for me to put 2 levers back to back in between the tyre and the the REAR rim when the bead was still UNBROKEN.?? In order to unseat the tyre. Or have I overlooked something?
Have to agree, I like the bloke too and have a log of respect of what he's done, but he did seem to be solving a problem that didn't really exist there.
Also think the way he demonstrated how to toss an enduro bike up onto a stand with one hand so easily wouldn't work for me either! :D
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thank you for all replies links etc learnt some but still no definitive method for a tough tubless tyre solo on a cold trail, but probably with a bit of swearing probably would get it done but it might still be a difficult proposition and only attempt solo if absolutely necessary.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

bikenav wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 pm thank you for all replies links etc learnt some but still no definitive method for a tough tubless tyre solo on a cold trail, but probably with a bit of swearing probably would get it done but it might still be a difficult proposition and only attempt solo if absolutely necessary.
Why would you attempt to take a tyre off on a cold deserted trail with no one else to help unless absolutely necessary?????

I can’t imagine stopping for a rest and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer and thinking....”I know, it’s cold, I’m on my own, I haven’t got a puncture.....or the proper tools....but I think I’ll see if I can take a tyre off” :lol: :lol:
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

OnHellas wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 am
bikenav wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 pm thank you for all replies links etc learnt some but still no definitive method for a tough tubless tyre solo on a cold trail, but probably with a bit of swearing probably would get it done but it might still be a difficult proposition and only attempt solo if absolutely necessary.
Why would you attempt to take a tyre off on a cold deserted trail with no one else to help unless absolutely necessary?????

I can’t imagine stopping for a rest and a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer and thinking....”I know, it’s cold, I’m on my own, I haven’t got a puncture.....or the proper tools....but I think I’ll see if I can take a tyre off” :lol: :lol:
Perhaps a little to literal sometimes there are options wobbly ride flat, stopping and re- pumping, waiting for a passerby. No as offroad riders we do occasionally take on an unnecessary challenge up that hill, cross that river, changing tyres not one for me dont worry. :mrgreen:
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

dibbs wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:37 am
bikenav wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:06 pm I agree that adding warmth riding low pressure/flat sun etc is a big help, but for those whom may have not the experience the bead can be a lot more difficult on tubeless and again the lovely Mitas Dakar types can also be pigs. Rode on a rear tubed E09 Dakar once on a 640 with no air whilst carrying luggage could barely tell it was airless, then it toke 3 or 4 prods from the sidestand of a 990 with both wheels off the ground to push it down.

Have tried getting one lever under the other myself with little success but Dibbs have you got a link to that vid by any chance, Poskitt is a bit handy.
here you go! quite informative, enjoy

Great vid - thanks for posting 👍

Return to “TECHNICAL”