breaking that b!!!!!d bead how do you? solo on the trail.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bikenav

breaking that b!!!!!d bead how do you? solo on the trail.

Post by bikenav »

Ok no need of garage tips because I have that covered, or sidestand of second bike .
So how do you get this done? On a GS 12 at the moment, have had success once for a front persevering with levers working round slowly , yesterday I failed with the levers on a rear but had success with the centrestand. Have tried the tyre lever twisted with an adjustable spanner would not work for me, perhaps a wider lever may? The centrestand method will work for the rear tyre I think if you have one although it has an element of risk. Meant to try the riding flat to warm up etc but dam forgot, heard good and bad of the motion pro gizmo's, So any tips? ta
IMG_20200420_165634.jpg
IMG_20200420_165634.jpg (69.24 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
IMG_20200420_171208.jpg
IMG_20200420_171208.jpg (112.39 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
Spare wheel ready for some trail action tourance off uh other tyre on, Tkc or Karoo T one or the other dont remember.
OnHellas

Re: breaking that b!!!!!d bead how do you? solo on the trail.

Post by OnHellas »

The Motion Pro bead breaker works for me. I’ve used it 5 or 6 times at the side of the road on F800GS rear wheels.
I still had to work my way around a bit, then kneel on the sidewall.
The two bits double up as tyre levers and I carry one other....the one that you can put a socket drive in to and is the same size as the rear axle nut. ...if that makes sense.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Motion Pro bead breaker worked for me too but it was a hot day and the tyre wasn't too hard to break the bead on, plus it had punctured while riding so everything was hot.

Steve
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

G clamp if you have the space to carry one or heavy mates in boots but aren't yours tubeless tyres, if so why would you take them off on the trail. Just plug repair
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

I find that if I ride along a bit with the tyre flat it will heat up the tyre and usually pop one side off the bead.

If at home you can put it in a vice if you have one......or put a bar etc placed properly and drive slowly on to it with a vehicle.

Side stand tip does work for my moto.

/
Will It Buff Out?
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hi ya keith good to have you back ;)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thanks for all replies , others are also finding the task difficult with levers alone then, perhaps the motion pro is the way to go. Bill I am not going be carrying a G clamp around ta, and not all oles are round have you tried sticking plugs and worms sideways in splits, but I am a big fan of them sticky worms and of course I would use them when applicable. Wibo As said I have no issue at home or with a second bike handy, not so easy when solo to use the sidestand when the bike is on one wheel and the sidestand , although as the pic I did use the centrestand this time for the rear unsure how you could make that work for a front wheel though. The other bike has no centrestand but tubed tyres where the bead usually puts up less of a fight. or yes did mean to try riding it flat to warm it a bit/and or push it off but forgot next time perhaps.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Never had a puncture in tubeless so not used plugs or worms yet, changed many tubes on the trail but never had an issue breaking the bead front or rear with just tyre lever and feet.Never ride alone so always help each other.
Have you seen this kit, the guy mentions BMW GS maybe of interest

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

not seen that before well spotted quite clever, a bit clunky, would like to see it in the flesh but not likely to around here though at £135. Perhaps a bit of banging and drilling in the garage though .
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

A good lockdown project to make one maybe for yourself using existing levers.
I have the wire pull for pulling the valve of the tube through the rim and the handle has a valve core remover, best bit of inexpensive kit ever. Also found buzzeti lever very strong and compact.
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 3247 times

Return to “TECHNICAL”