Air Compressor Advice please...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Magnon

Re: Air Compressor Advice please...

Post by Magnon »

Mines a 100 litre, 3hp 2 cylinder machine which seems OK for most things including 1400N impact gun, bike lift, paint spraying etc. Large id tubes (and short runs) make a difference.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Tramp wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:35 pm Just buy a electric 500nm torque rattle gun... Cheap and woks great... Then get a cheap compressor for blowing up tyres and air gun knozzle for blowing dust out of stuff like airfilters and spark plug holes... Handy for hair too...
Thats exactly what i have done. I bought a SIP 50 ltr direct drive 2.5hp 9.5 CFM compressor which runs a spot grit blast gun,3/8" butterfly wrench,1/2" thumper gun at limited duty cycle. Tyre inflator and blow gun. I do not spray with it as it hasn,t really got a large enough tank or a moisture separator fitted. I also have a mains powered 450NM electric thumper gun(i decided the limited use it would get could be detrimental to the battery life) It seems to cover most eventualities. The real air hungry tools my compressor will not run are needle descaler,air angle grinder 1/4" die grinder and air saw. For an occasional bike mechanic and i do not work on my own cars any more this is more than adequate.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Dave I bought a cheapo, well 90 odd euro as it was on promo, 50 litre 2 hp from local Bricomarché. Already had a mains electric rattle gun for those stubborn nuts so wasn't bothered about running air tools though debit is 210 l/min ( dunno what that is in cfm) so think it may just run some ?
Really just wanted something for blasting out shit on carbs , air filters on my mowers etc. and tyres. Anyway seems fine for intended purpose.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

daveuprite wrote:
Yoyo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm I managed a Machine Mart store for years and their range of air compressors are very reliable and decent value. For general cleaning and small painting jobs a 50L 2.5hp 9.5cfm compressor will do. If you want to run any air tool you will need 3hp 14cfm and as big a tank as your budget will allow.

The small units are direct drive and very noisy, a 3hp belt drive unit is the way to go. Much quieter be careful if you by used though, a lot of the 3hp 14cfm units need a 16amp supply (won't run off 3 pin plug).

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks Yoyo - great advice. Could I get away with something like this then (if I forget about running air tools)?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmast ... -air-comp/
That's what I use, I've used an impact gun with it but only to spin off wheel nuts but only after they had been started off with a breaker bar!

As for cleaning, spraying (including ACF50) it's great and does the job nicely.

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Yoyo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 pm
daveuprite wrote:
Yoyo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm I managed a Machine Mart store for years and their range of air compressors are very reliable and decent value. For general cleaning and small painting jobs a 50L 2.5hp 9.5cfm compressor will do. If you want to run any air tool you will need 3hp 14cfm and as big a tank as your budget will allow.

The small units are direct drive and very noisy, a 3hp belt drive unit is the way to go. Much quieter be careful if you by used though, a lot of the 3hp 14cfm units need a 16amp supply (won't run off 3 pin plug).

Thanks Yoyo - great advice. Could I get away with something like this then (if I forget about running air tools)?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/airmast ... -air-comp/
That's what I use, I've used an impact gun with it but only to spin off wheel nuts but only after they had been started off with a breaker bar!

As for cleaning, spraying (including ACF50) it's great and does the job nicely.

Great, thanks a lot.

Is it really loud? If so, could I build a sound-insulated box around it on three sides maybe? Or would it overheat do you think?
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Yes you can insulate with acoustic foam in a sound box with lots of adequate room for heat disapation.. = more money..

Just use earplugs or ear defenders... Or as I do turn the geto blaster up...

They only make a noise while building up air pressure..
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I almost always leave mine on then have to go back into garage and all the security to turn the dam thing off! Chilling in bed and then bbbbbrrrrrrr sound from garage 🙄. Been meaning to fit a run back timer for ages.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Hi Davey, if your only using it for domestic use, pumping up tyres, cleaning stuff, etc, then 50lt with 2hp is ample, and there not to loud. It's only when your going to run chisel guns, nail guns, spraying, etc, thats when you need a big reservoir and more hp to fill it up again quickly. Keep a look out on the facebook sites, there are some bargains about, and if your budget isnt that large and you want new, then lidls do them now and again. I'll keep me eyes open this end.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:23 am Hi Davey, if your only using it for domestic use, pumping up tyres, cleaning stuff, etc, then 50lt with 2hp is ample, and there not to loud. It's only when your going to run chisel guns, nail guns, spraying, etc, thats when you need a big reservoir and more hp to fill it up again quickly. Keep a look out on the facebook sites, there are some bargains about, and if your budget isnt that large and you want new, then lidls do them now and again. I'll keep me eyes open this end.
Cheers Stevey. Yep, just the basic tasks will do fine. I keep getting out of breath...

chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

:lol: :lol: :roll:

Return to “TECHNICAL”