Torque Wrench

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ngilbo

Torque Wrench

Post by ngilbo »

Can anyone recommend a decent torque wrench that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks
Nick
Billy Bananahead

Re: Torque Wrench

Post by Billy Bananahead »

What sort of torque values do you want from each wrench?
I've got a small and a large one. The small measures from approx 7nm to 25nm made by Laser, the large one is a Clarke with goes from approx 21nm up to about 90nm.
Both were pretty cheap, can't remember how much now, but seem to do the job well enough.
You pays your money etc etc......
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

First thing to check is the wrench actually covers the values you need.

Halfords ones have a good rep: don't know if it's still the case, but they were British-made Norbars, rebranded. Norbars are probably the best 'professional level' choice.

I've got a cheap one: sold under various names...don't trust it as the first time I used it on a low setting it seemed to not be letting go quick enough, and sure enough it stripped the thread. It seems to be better at the higher end ratings.

Top tip: a torque wrench is a measuring instrument...a lot of people bugger them up because they think they can also be used as a breaker bar.
ngilbo

Post by ngilbo »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:07 pm What sort of torque values do you want from each wrench?
I've got a small and a large one. The small measures from approx 7nm to 25nm made by Laser, the large one is a Clarke with goes from approx 21nm up to about 90nm.
Both were pretty cheap, can't remember how much now, but seem to do the job well enough.
You pays your money etc etc......
I'm just buying a project old trials bike I want to strip down. Plan is to rebuild the engine so I'm assuming I'll need something with a decent torque value. Agree on the cheap - will look to get something decent.
ngilbo

Post by ngilbo »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm First thing to check is the wrench actually covers the values you need.

Halfords ones have a good rep: don't know if it's still the case, but they were British-made Norbars, rebranded. Norbars are probably the best 'professional level' choice.

I've got a cheap one: sold under various names...don't trust it as the first time I used it on a low setting it seemed to not be letting go quick enough, and sure enough it stripped the thread. It seems to be better at the higher end ratings.

Top tip: a torque wrench is a measuring instrument...a lot of people bugger them up because they think they can also be used as a breaker bar.
Funnily enough - was just going to ask if anyone had the Halfords ones. That's probably the one I'll go for after looking at reviews elsewhere. Agree on the breaker bar too - will only bring it out on special occasions ;-)
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I use a 1/4in drive which covers 5 to 25nm and a 1/2in drive which covers 28 to 210nm. I use Clarke ones and they work a treat.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I've 2 Halfords wrenches, a 3/8" drive which measures 8-60 Nm and a 1/2" drive which does 40-200 Nm. They seem well made and robust, far more so than cheaper previous wrenches from Machine Mart. Both came with comprehensive calibration certification. For less than 8Nm I still rely on feel/intuition albeit I keep on meaning to get a low torque 1/4" drive wrench.
The Halfords wrenches aren't the cheapest and I can well believe they are/were made by Norbar, as mentioned above. I've had them around 15 yrs now so getting the calibration re-checked is on the to-do list.
Attachments
20200407_203129.jpg
20200407_203129.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

If you remove/change wheels on your car then you should use a torque wrench when refitting.
Car wheel settings are often around the 120/140 Nm figures.

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
ngilbo

Post by ngilbo »

Halfords do seem to have a good selection - probably go for a couple: https://www.halfords.com/search?q=torque+wrench
Last edited by ngilbo on Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I've got Draper black wrenches a 3/8 from 8 to 80nm and a draper black 1/2 30 to 210 nm great fit of kit and dont break the bank
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺

Return to “TECHNICAL”