Brake Disc has blue rings of Saturn. Normal or not.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Kazz

Blue Saturn rings in rear disc, normal or not.

Post by Kazz »

Hi, my rear rotor on 2013 R1200 Gsa has turned blue. Is this normal. Also the rear disc is always too hot to touch after a ride where as fronts are only warm.
Any comments welcome.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Praise without end for the go-ahead zeal of whoever it was invented the wheel;

But never a word for the poor soul's sake,that thought ahead and invented the brake.....
bill_qaz

Re: Blue Saturn rings in rear disc, normal or not.

Post by bill_qaz »

Rear brake dragging, is it free to turn when on centre stand, if so you maybe inadvertently riding with your foot on on it taking out the free play. You could adjust the pedal height or change your foot position.
mechanic

Re: Brake Disc has blue rings of Saturn. Normal or not.

Post by mechanic »

I’m reluctant to suggest it but are you riding the rear brake? Does the rear wheel spin freely when on the Centre stand. Adjust the rear brake so it is activated further down in its travel then go for a ride, if your allowed. Are the rear pads free to move in the caliper? Just some random ideas to get you started. Have an investigative session then report back.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

As mentioned above, not quite binding on. Have you bled the system lately and over filled it. Something simple I reckon. A bit of adjustment, mechanical or riding style :shock:
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

I had an identical problem on the Explorer after attempting a DIY rear brake pad replacement. Following a plea for help on this forum, someone mentioned a sticking piston. The remedy was some lube and a screw driver to free up the said piston. Problem solved.
Kazz

Post by Kazz »

Hi, I had a rear seal go and after the dealer returned the bike, there was something wrong. I have since then taken it back and they changed the slider pin and cleaned the calipers.
The disc is too hot to touch still after moderate braking. The fronts are just warm.
I have attached a pic but it's not very good quality. Hard to tell if the pads are sticking as the final drive gives a bit of resistance.
Do any of yours rear discs get too hot to touch after about 3 miles riding with moderate braking.
Does the blueing stay forever or does it go away. Image

But never a word for the poor soul's sake,that thought ahead and invented the brake.....
Kazz

Post by Kazz »

mechanic wrote:I’m reluctant to suggest it but are you riding the rear brake? Does the rear wheel spin freely when on the Centre stand. Adjust the rear brake so it is activated further down in its travel then go for a ride, if your allowed. Are the rear pads free to move in the caliper? Just some random ideas to get you started. Have an investigative session then report back.
Definitely not riding the brake. Is it normal for rear disc to be too hot to touch after 3 miles of riding with moderate braking.

bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Put it on centre stand rear wheel off the floor and run it in gear for a few minutes if it gets hot its binding brake as you are not using it so should stay cold. Cover the clutch in case the wheel touches the floor and hold the front brake on for safety, you can cable tie the front brake lever so you don't have to sit on it.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

bill_qaz wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:42 am Put it on centre stand rear wheel off the floor and run it in gear for a few minutes if it gets hot its binding brake as you are not using it so should stay cold. Cover the clutch in case the wheel touches the floor and hold the front brake on for safety, you can cable tie the front brake lever so you don't have to sit on it.
Front brakes may well be linked to the back
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Yes rear disc gets warm but never blued in 60k miles of use.
1) First of all make sure the pedal spring returns the pedal fully upwards (I've found stones trapped between brake pedal and frame).

2) I would remove rear pads, then make sure the caliper can be moved (with your hands) in and out on the caliper bracket slider pins. If it won't move then the slider pins are siezed.

3) If the above is ok then I would make sure the brake caliper piston can move inwards (not siezed) by putting outer brake pad back in place and then squeezing the caliper towards the wheel with your hands.

Youtube is your friend in checking all of the above.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TECHNICAL”