Tyres...Mefo v Mitas v MotOz????

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Tyres...Mefo v Mitas v MotOz????

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Yes, it's new tyres time for my old KTM 950 Adventure, which is ridden on roads for about 90% of the miles it does. However, I live up a dirt track, and the first few miles in any direction are up muddy, debris-strewn lanes with a green stripe down the middle. And I do like taking the 950 off highway, but not through massive ruts and mud-holes.

I've been running the Mefo Super/explorer combo for the last few years, and am delighted with the perfomance of the rear tyre. The front, however, doesn't induce confidence under heavy braking, and has worn faster than the rear, with a stepped wear pattern emerging.

Looking at the tyre market, all 3 of the above are currently available in the UK. Does anyone have comparative experience. In particular, if there is a front tyre that's better than the Mefo Explorer?
zimtim

Re: Tyres...Mefo v Mitas v MotOz????

Post by zimtim »

My choice of on road and touring tyre for the KTM 950 is the Mitas EO7 similar tread to the Mefo, if you want a bit more aggressive off road then the EO7+.

The EO7 is good on road has plenty of grip even in wet, only down side is changing them especially with the KTM lip. Then trying to get them to reseat.
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

I'm also liking the mitas e07
Richard Simpson Mark II

EO7+ is the only one available to fit the back of the KTM...anyone tried that?
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

using one on the rear of my Gs12 most of the time no particular bad traits or good as the pattern suggests mid purpose tyre, I use it on trails but avoid mud or grass, in which case I go to square knobs. As a context I ride all weather all year but am not particularly tyre sensitive generally keep a fresh Knobbly on a wheel and as they get down they get relegated to road burning but had an empty rim so bought the mitas price is king but will happily buy one again I have used the Karoo 3 a fair bit but would buy the mitas first in the autum if it were spring possibly the Karoo 3. . Dont think I am going to get the huge mileage I have read some others get. Probably not much help.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Richard..

im using the new e07plus on the rear of my xt660z with a heindeau k60 silica tyre...road the plain and some muddy trails around pewsy...fine

its like the original k60 was years ago wide gaps and grips ...ridden it on wet cold 0c roads again no dramas at sensible speeds.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Pirelli MT21, no other tyre is needed IMO. Been using it with the mefo for 7/8 years in all weathers a d conditions. Really performs well off road and predictable in the rain, great in the dry.
Mileage wise really good. You can turn the tyre around on the rim as it's non directional.
I just spin the discs off as it saves getting the spoons out :D every 1000-1500 miles or when the braking ramps start. Saying that if you're not heavy on the brakss and use the engines torque, like me, you'll see 2K withers the the need for turning it.
I went to the KTM Rally 2018 a d did 2.5K without turning it, my nephews needed turning at 1500 as he was chasing and braking :mrgreen:
Off road its fantastic for what it is. Fully loaded on road, carves corners well and is very predictable.
About 60 quid too

The Mefo front is shocking when a little moisture is on the road, I swapped it out after 500 miles (gave it that long to bed in, just incase lol) the MT21 is light years ahead
Richard Simpson Mark II

What pressures do you run the MT21 front at?

I've wrecked a few in my time on lighter bikes than the 950!
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

34 road
30-28 off then let it down if required, but below 25 you'll be getting pinch flats. :x

Return to “TECHNICAL”