computers and bike trip planning imbalance.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bikenav

computers and bike trip planning imbalance.

Post by bikenav »

only indirectly motorbike related if your not interested dont read further. Started having problems with my computer probably time for a new one, in the mean time any help from any IT savy people would be much appreciated. Wish computers had never been invented in honesty but they are here now. Downloading maps was the first issue, used to be OK. Next thing mapsource stopped opening properly and immediately after the MS start logo I have an error to say reinstall it, OK lets do that but MS is not listed in the Uninstall place so cant do that OK piss off MS I'll just use basecamp, uh-uh my default prog for GPX etc is you guessed it MS, so no cigar with GPX files which I do a lot of playing about with at the minute planning this years trip, now this is becoming a problem. right go to to file type default page change Mapsorce to Basecamp for .gpx, nope-only options is MS or shop for a new app.
  • 1.So is there some other place I can look to uninstall mapsource?
  • 2.How do I change the file type option .gpx to basecamp when it is already installed but not shown as a default option?
    thanks
garyboy

Re: computers and bike trip planning imbalance.

Post by garyboy »

I was going to say try `downloads` but I just checked mine and its empty, and I know I got tyre and basecamp somewhere?
Looked in `documents ` (for `this pc`) and found .. basecamp .. with an uninstall option.
Will check elsewhere too.

may be a shortcut on the desktop screen?

just tried again .. `documents` then `downloads`. .. dunno if right for you.

just tried `settings` .. app installer .. uninstall … all seemed to be there ok.
Sometimes the name of the app is still there but it is actually deleted in operation.
Maybe check your `app installer` app?

I dont really know wot I talking about :lol:
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

You dint say what oc or laptop it is and which ms windows its using?
But yes a ballache :lol: but why not do a full factory reinstall but first save you pics etc...most oroblems are bios related or incompatible programes due to security requirements bei g updated by ms windows...

Hope that helps and ive a newish laptop ms 10 and run basecamp and a very old mapsource and gave installed various maps.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

My advice: uninstall all the software, take the computer and apply a large hammer.

Then install some of these in your tank bag:

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Sound like your using Win10

1. re-install mapsource, then un-install it if you want or just keep mapsource
(it sounds like you've deleted part/all of mapsource so the uninstall method won't find the files it's looking for)

2. In default apps when it prompts you to look for a different app - do just that, browse your PC for the basecamp.exe file which you will find in
C:/Program Files(x86)/Garmin/Basecamp

P.S. Basecamp is crap
Its a trick............get an Axe
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thanks for the help so far hp pavilion is the make of laptop running windows 10 about 4 years old difficult to imagine that I had done anything to uninstall MS which is as old as the laptop, basecamp is also as old as I never do any of the prompted updates will look later into the other info posted, out to ride now something I know a little more about. thanks all check in later apologies to all those who have no interest in this kind of stuff I am one normally except when it gets in the way.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

If you look in the for sale section I've just sold a laptop but have a few more available (15 inch too) if that would help. Similar age to yours, maybe a bit newer, but pretty sure they'd be better spec (16GB RAM, 256GB SSDs, Core i5s)

As others have said too, if you're on Win 10, backup all your files and do a factory reset to get it back like new.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

OK first thank you to all contributors As you suggested Asgard I just reinstalled MS seems to be opening perfect now no uninstall required so that looks like a winner thank you, DUH why did I not try that?. just for reference I tried to copy and paste BC x86 into the prog default for gpx no joy only option MS or shop for new no browse my computer or similar available option. Why do you say BC is crap and what do you find better as an alt? it stores all my tracks,routes,waypoints in files by country road trail sleeping etc etc I can place them all or select sections on various maps incl OS for the UK, send them to the GPS as I wish. what more do you want? Bywayrider doing that factory reinstall scares the shit out of me but I would have had a go as last resort. Daveuprite as a semi-Frenchi I challenge you to plot a trail route on paper maps from Cherbourg to the Italian border, then show me the cost in maps and the size of the pile of maps. Daniel S thank you see how it goes with this one at the moment unless would you have a small one do you call them netbooks in the trade? I have one I carry in the luggage some times but it is old and low spec therefore very slow with basecamp could do with a replacement for that .
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Re Basecamp. I like many stayed with Mapsource for as long as possible, but now happily use Basecamp. Like all computer programmes it takes a while to getting used to it, and how you do things in Basecamp IIRC didn't transfer across from Mapsource. If you're using Basecamp, and want to keep Google Earth to check waypoints / routes etc directly from it, then don't go for a version greater than 4.6.2.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I would avoid all that Garmin Pfaff and download MapsMe or CoPilot and use on your device of choice.

Garmin are still as user unfriendly as when I used to waste hours of my life with a StreetPilot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “TECHNICAL”