Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dibbs

Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Post by dibbs »

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ivvRA2]

Hi all. I have this mount and have tried some research on www, but cant seem to find any answers! My question is can this powered mount be wired up to a male 12v cigar plug so that I can plug it into the socket on the bike? it would be much easier than hard wiring it and I could transfer it between bikes also.

Thanks
Rallyx

Re: Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Post by Rallyx »

Don't see why not if your handy with a soldering iron. Modded my 595 mount so just power cable used. Can get fused 12v plugs 1 or 2 amp plenty.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

yes, the wires are small diameter as thats all they need to be but does make it a bit fiddly red wire to the centre part of the plug, almost certainly black to the side part of the plug, blank off the other coloured wires you dont need them not for simple power anyway, unsure exactly what they are for antenna perhaps? tape a replacement fuse near the fuse holder someplace if you use it, or even on to it unlikely you will ever need it though.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Dont come on here much now :lol: ,,,but trust you Dibbs to have a ciggar socket ;) :o better than a butt plug I suppose..

anyway if its plugged into the cigarette 12v socket vibration will cause it to cut in and out...just run lead direct from the battery ...as its only draws power when garmin is mounted..is it a montana as the zumo 595 mount is different..,

your such a tight ass :roll:
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Tramp wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:15 pm Dont come on here much now :lol: ,,,but trust you Dibbs to have a ciggar socket ;) :o better than a butt plug I suppose..

anyway if its plugged into the cigarette 12v socket vibration will cause it to cut in and out...just run lead direct from the battery ...as its only draws power when garmin is mounted..is it a montana as the zumo 595 mount is different..,

your such a tight ass :roll:
Hahahahaha you'll never forget the ceegarrrs will you Russ lol.... i thought about running wires to the battery but dont think they are long enough! I guess it would be quite an easy job! And about a 1-1 1/2 cigar rating timewise lol.... oh and its a Montana!
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Why not solder to the wires feeding the cig lighter, same distance, no vibration issues and socket is still usuable.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I used the ciggy socket for my Montana on my V-Strom 1000, so to answer your question, yes you can :D

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I just use the two power cables, shorten it to about 1 foot, carefully crimp on the pins for one of those waterproof connectors with the yellow bellows (complex, fiddly and you need the right insert tools--but worth it), and then run the female from a fused supply from the battery . I use a RAM mount on my bikes to take the powered cradle(s). I can then swap the cradles between bikes and simply plug them in on the handlebar (I just leave the ball clamped to the bar). I gave up on a 12v Cig type outlet as they vibrate and become disconnected--especially offroad. I run a permanent 12v supply to the Garmin as they shut down if the power is lost--most inconvenient if you don't notice.
Rallyx

Post by Rallyx »

A hack I use insulting tape around 12v plug so a snug fit 👍
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I have had issues in the past using non Garmin cigar lighter chargers putting the unit into the computer mode. ..
You may need to get a compatible Garmin charger and cut it down.

Otherwise you should have no issues

Return to “TECHNICAL”