Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Dark Knight

Re: Garmin Rugged powered mount with 12v cigar plug

Post by Dark Knight »

Just remember that the Garmin runs off 5 volts.
The 12 volt cigar plug has 12 volt to 5 volt converter in it which is usually a cheap transistor with a zener and a few resistors.
You do not want to permanently connect the cigar plug to the battery as you will reduce the life of the converter.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Dark Knight wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:37 pm Just remember that the Garmin runs off 5 volts.
The 12 volt cigar plug has 12 volt to 5 volt converter in it which is usually a cheap transistor with a zener and a few resistors.
You do not want to permanently connect the cigar plug to the battery as you will reduce the life of the converter.
Thanks Dark Knight, but I may have confused everybody! I took the cigar plug off and just connected the positive and negative wires from the mount direct to the battery, and just don't want to have a flat battery in a weeks time!
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

So your running 12v to a 5v garmin.... It'll be toasted soon.... That's why all garmin use a convertor in leads somewhere.

You must use a step down system of some sorts...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

byewayrider wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 am So your running 12v to a 5v garmin.... It'll be toasted soon.... That's why all garmin use a convertor in leads somewhere.

The Rugged mount doesn't seem to have a step down as far as I can see in this picture:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARMIN-AMPS- ... 0005.m1851

Though it's not a rugged mount if it has a cigarette lighter plug on the end:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/89574 vs

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/89575
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

byewayrider wrote:So your running 12v to a 5v garmin.... It'll be toasted soon.... That's why all garmin use a convertor in leads somewhere.

I’ve used a rugged mount with the wiring cut back and hard wired into the switched 12 volt system for years with no problem...if there is a step down somewhere maybe it’s in the mount, for reference it’s a Montana 680..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hopefully there is a step down within the mount, as the battery voltage has stayed the same (12.85v) for the last 24hrs! so no noticable draw at the moment! I'm sure I'm not the only person that's wired the mount directly to the battery (am I!!!!) so hoping that with no unit (650t) on the bike it should be fine!
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

Input can be between 10 -50 volts so obviously step down within mount. been running one for 4 years with power feed spliced into side light wiring so only live with ignition on.

This is a scan from instructions booklet
Garmin rugged mount001.jpg
Garmin rugged mount001.jpg (111.38 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

Nico-D wrote:Input can be between 10 -50 volts so obviously step down within mount. been running one for 4 years with power feed spliced into side light wiring so only live with ignition on.

I cut mine at the point marked in red so all the additional connections and the big plastic joiner went in the bin...it makes for a tidier instal...so the step down must be inside the mount.

AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Ignore most of the above. It’s wrong.

The rugged mount DOES NOT consume any power. It simply passes through 12v into your unit. Your unit is designed to accept this voltage through the pins that connect to the Rugged Mount.

I have taken my rugged mount apart several times. The gold connectors you see on the inside face are the top end of the connectors the power wires connect to. There’s no electronics in there. Try putting a multi meter between pins 4&5 and you will see 12v.

If you put 5v into the rugged mount your device will not power from it. It is designed to receive between 10 and 50volts via the pins used to connect to the mount. I said all this a month or more ago.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

prg4967 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:58 pm
Nico-D wrote:Input can be between 10 -50 volts so obviously step down within mount. been running one for 4 years with power feed spliced into side light wiring so only live with ignition on.

I cut mine at the point marked in red so all the additional connections and the big plastic joiner went in the bin...it makes for a tidier instal...so the step down must be inside the mount.

Hahahahahaha that's the sort of thing I would have normally done!!!! but thought I should keep the fuse in place and coil all the other wires up just in case I needed them this time lol....

Return to “TECHNICAL”