OSM multiple map problem on Basecamp

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bikenav

OSM multiple map problem on Basecamp

Post by bikenav »

hello there trying to install some new OSM maps onto basecamp when I chose a whole country Turkey as it happens from alternativaslibres.org it worked fine but trying to install a custom mapset from the tiles on openstreetmap.nl that is not available on the former I get the error in the pic below. It appears there is a map there of the same name creating a conflict, I do not want to remove or overwrite any there already ,done a fair bit of this in the past and used JAVAWA to change mapset names etc for the montana but I can not remember how I did this previously if i did at all. Had a look on youtube tutorials etc but can not find a solution any help gratfully received ta.
Screenshot (36).png
Screenshot (36).png (143.67 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
garyboy

Re: OSM multiple map problem on Basecamp

Post by garyboy »

excuse my unknowledgeable stupidity :lol: :roll: .. but does it just need to click `ok` to upgrade the app, which should then re-install the original map? but in the new version?

if this is not the case .. can the map be saved to the original card, then a new card installed to check if the map is still available in the new version?

appologies if this is stupid :D
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

clicking OK seems to make no change/or overwrite which I would not want anyway. I want to load a new map ie a different country not update an old one, I have tried changing names where I can see them which I suspect is the probable key to this but with no luck, so far, just tried running some OSM map files through JAVAWA mapconverter not done that before and had an error there too but wont complicate matters with that. The maps are on files that basecamp runs by your selection I have maybe 10 or so already generally different countries/regions some of the same country which show different details, its a great tool but for a computer numty like me with a memory the size of a wallnut it can be a battle. see pic below of the maps I can choose from already the maps options are in the box top left current selection The Balkan region, in Mapsource actually but the BC problem is shared. nice try Gary hope your not wet pretty bad down your way.
Screenshot (39).png
Screenshot (39).png (202.62 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Base camp is a nightmare IMO, I loved mapsource so easy to use and very intuitive,so much so I binned base camp and installed an old version of mapsource onto my surface pro.
Yes ha, back to normal and the 590 uploads no probs.
I have a mate who loves base camp, but has never used mapsource, so what does he know :P
I did ask and he didn't comment :roll:
Good luck
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

What he said ⬆
Its a trick............get an Axe
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I agree with the statement that MS is simpler and easier to learn and I stuck with it for a long while myself, and as you can see from the MS screenshot I still run it and prefer it for building a custom mapset for the Montana etc. Basecamp is more complex probably too much so and was difficult to learn but I stuck with it and for my purpose I find it the better tool most of the time. Anyway back to the point my error is similar on both platforms if anything BC will load whole country maps where available whilst MS will not. I have most maps already to choose from but potentialy to go further I want to build one from the tile select option but failing dismally, selected, downloaded, but at install I get the error, done it successfully in past so puzzeled. There is an issue when loading OSM maps that carry the same identity and ovewrite other OSMs unless you rename them With the GMTK software but that is relevant to GPS units not the computer side. There were a few experts on this forum in the past giving good tips on this kind of stuff they all flown off to another tree perhaps.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

https://advtracks.online/?utm_source=ma ... gn=welcome mail

Look into this instead. I have used it in the western Italian Alps off piste and in airplane mode, to great effect. Options : standard topo: satellite on screen. Used alongside my 590. The ADV out performed a Montana at one point,.plus it can. E used as a twat nav, going from lane to lane. It also has 100's of tracks available on it. Just join the site and away you go.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

have signed up will take a proper look later did not see an obvious map download toggle though, but looks like another data base to add thanks for the reply Agent.

Return to “TECHNICAL”