Bike Down

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hugh

Re: Bike Down

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

If I am not mistaken to check the oil level you must ensure that the engine has fully reached optimum engine temperature as there is a thermostat in the oil cooler circuit that suddenly opens and allows a previously held supply of oil to release into the crankcase thereby increasing the level.

So often people overfill their engine oil level which can cause damage by increasing crankcase pressure thereby forcing oil vapour, or even liquid oil, into the breather system, from there into the combustion process and then into the exhaust. In simple terms the extra deposits in the exhaust may cause problems even damage to any catalytic convertor and sensors.

In my opinion and experience it is preferable to run an engine with the oil just above minimum so that it fully heats up and so 'boils off' 'blow by' products from cold start ups.

TTFN

Hugh.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks Gang,

I haven’t run it up yet as it was pouring with rain today in Exeter and I can’t tomorrow either, but I’ll give it a run to warm it up properly and then let it sit for five minutes and scope it.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Update:
I topped the oil off and took the bike out to check it over but it started to smell of oil. When I stopped it was smoking so I very gingerly took it home and found that it was smoking from the rocker cover.

I sent it in to BMW Plymouth who discovered that the rocker cover had been broken when it fell.
But this is the all singing, all dancing, engine protected, barred-up GS fucking A model. If it breaks itself falling over in the carpark, what use are all those bars?
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

gbags wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:40 pm I sent it in to BMW Plymouth who discovered that the rocker cover had been broken when it fell.
But this is the all singing, all dancing, engine protected, barred-up GS fucking A model. If it breaks itself falling over in the carpark, what use are all those bars?
Make it look ruffty tuffty...
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

these work--but are not stock--German and mount further back giving a solid horizontal bar under the rocker cover--they don't build them like they used to--twice the weight and twice as fragile!
Karls GS nearly ready for the Exeter Dec 2016 (2).JPG
Karls GS nearly ready for the Exeter Dec 2016 (2).JPG (175.54 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
gbags

Post by gbags »

An update and a shout out.

I took the bike down to Ocean BMW Plymouth to fix the leak, service it as it was due and then come back in a few days to pick it up.
Unfortunately, I broke my neck before I could get back, which led to a few days in hospital and six weeks in a neck brace, then I’ll get physio.

Six weeks later and the brace is off but my right arm is still a bit buggered due to nerve pain.

Ocean BMW service team have kept the bike warm and charged all this time and offered to bring the bike back for me (one hour) or keep it there until I could ride it home myself.
I’ve racked my brain but I can’t think of a single bad thing to say about Ocean in the 15 years I’ve been dealing with them.
Great people.

In these troubled times they are picking up bikes for servicing and dropping them off in order to help riders and themselves.
Smart people too.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Blimey gb, get well soon
Its a trick............get an Axe
gbags

Post by gbags »

Thanks Asgard.

I have a Spinal Clinic appointment tomorrow which will hopefully give me the all clear to start running and cycling again.

Return to “TECHNICAL”