Karoo 3's in the wet?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dibbs

Karoo 3's in the wet?

Post by dibbs »

Riding home from the East Anglia Rally yesterday I went round a sweeping bend at about 30mph and felt the back tyre sort of 'step out' which I guess was a very slight slide it only lasted a nano second but very unnerving. This has happened twice to me now and im thinking that the Karoo 3 is not very good in the wet! it seems good in all other terrain apart from thick mud but most tyres will suffer there, but it does seem to have a side slip issue, does anyone else find this issue? Also is this tyre billed as a 50/50 ??? ive had two rears now to one front but not convinced I will stick with it next time, I probably ride 60% off road 40% on so looking for a good choice, and as it rains a lot something I can have confidence in when its wet!!!!
zimtim

Re: Karoo 3's in the wet?

Post by zimtim »

Have a look at the Mitas EO7+

Used the eo7 before good tyre and more of a 50/50 tyre than the Karoo 3.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

E07plus also step out in heavy rain but at faster speeds and heavy hand on throttle :lol: but then again dont most...... Have you tried lower psi on road to get extra heat in rears... My e07plus is fine now at 25psi rear....
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Thanks for the replies chaps. I haven't tried lower pressures Russ, that is an interesting idea, but you both seem keen on the EO7+, so ill give that a look.

Ta
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

a karoo 3 put me on my ass last year. After picking the bike up I walked back to try and assess what happened really old greasy tarmac with a gentle obtuse angle ridge so the perfect storm if you like, so conclusion any tyre may have let go, I ride all year, enjoy challenging conditions so put it down to bad luck or odds catching up with me. used 2 of them down to bald and just the one fall. I am running a eo7 as well as metz karoo T the square knob one no more falls since. My conclusion these types of tyres by nature have less wet tarmac grip if you ride around enough on them and unless you really creep around on them you could end up sliding and you may catch it or may not, but they are better than you may imagine, and pretty dam good in the dry. I was on a GS12, broke an indicator as I remember .
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

my 'umble experience...

Those on/off-road tyres will break traction in the wet earlier than a dedicated road tyre with decent tread, but the dynamics involved aren't very forceful and you can usually save it without a highside.

Treat wet tarmac as gravel and you will be fine. Treat wet tarmac as dry tarmac, and you may end up parking it on its side.

Ride to conditions, ride to your tyres...and thank god if you never had to experience a Japanese road tyre in the wet in the 1970s.

We used to call Yokohamas 'whispering death'. Japanese OEM equipment tyres were actually dangerous back then...most people used to take them off and fit Avon Roadrunners or Dunlop TT100s.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

On my Himalayan, I found E07s a good compromise, although they are very slippy in the wet at first, after a couple of hundred miles they got a lot better. K60s are about as good off road and much grippier on road, they wear out dead quick though.
Cheers
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thinking about it I also generally run about 25-28psi dropping to 18-20 for a proper trail ride, I'm not very scientific about these things so treat it all with no authourity at all.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Well i wasn't riding hard or cranked right over at a knee down lean angle but the weight of me and the bike certainly would put pressure on any tyre lol...... so i guess i just need to remember to watch out on wet roads! :roll:
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:38 am my 'umble experience...

Those on/off-road tyres will break traction in the wet earlier than a dedicated road tyre with decent tread, but the dynamics involved aren't very forceful and you can usually save it without a highside.

Treat wet tarmac as gravel and you will be fine. Treat wet tarmac as dry tarmac, and you may end up parking it on its side.

Ride to conditions, ride to your tyres...and thank god if you never had to experience a Japanese road tyre in the wet in the 1970s.

We used to call Yokohamas 'whispering death'. Japanese OEM equipment tyres were actually dangerous back then...most people used to take them off and fit Avon Roadrunners or Dunlop TT100s.
Avon road runners :D showing my age now :lol:

Return to “TECHNICAL”