Headlight

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
steve the grease

Headlight

Post by steve the grease »

Because I'm old and decrepit I found off roading my 350 Cagiva too much like hard wok, so I've got myself a DR-Z250 which I love. I'm off to the Paddy Dakar again next month, which has a night section so I have decided to replace the Suzuki 25w headlight unit with one that will take an H4 bulb. The cheapy off Ebay has a 35/35w H4 bulb. There are H4 bulbs which are 55/65w ( this is the normal power output of UK supplied H4 bulbs) which would obviously be much brighter, the problem is , would the extra heat just melt the headlight unit?
Nico-D

Re: Headlight

Post by Nico-D »

Maybe or maybe not, depends how close to the lens the bulb is.
my old Beta enduro has a plastic lens, when i bought it secondhand it came with the 60/55 w H4 in place of the specified 35/35. There was no sign of melting of the lens though it's a relatively deep headlight unit compared to some . I tend to ride with headlight on all the time even greenlaning.

Might be a case of suck it and see, if it's a cheapie unit you haven't lost too much. Personally I'd look for something like a used one off a DRZ 400S which has a glass unit and runs 60/55w as stnadard.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I know they're expensive but if you can get one of these in you'll be amazed....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2745681360
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Easist option stay with current light and fit 2 cree flood lights onto the handle bars... Connect via a fused feed... And switch... As you turn bars you see... Friggin bright... Lots on fleabay..

Or mount one on your helmet...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

Second for leaving headlight alone.
Fit these, turn day into night.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2121171057
XT660Z

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Yup leave headlight as is
Fit spots
I have a set of these on KTM really bright and a very low draw.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3266749518

On a permanent switched live so if you need you can just have spots on with out switching on ignition.very handy if you have to set camp or do puncture repairs etc in the dark
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Agreed with Tim I have the same spots but also fitted a night eye led dipped and high beam and they are great
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

there are some very good LED H4 replacements out there where the light source is very close to the position of the incandescent filament--so you get a good cut off etc. My Yam runs with the headlight on all the time but is only drawing 20w max with a really bright light--makes a big difference to battery condition!--passed its MOT today including a proper beam check.
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D »

catcitrus wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:07 pm there are some very good LED H4 replacements out there where the light source is very close to the position of the incandescent filament--so you get a good cut off etc. My Yam runs with the headlight on all the time but is only drawing 20w max with a really bright light--makes a big difference to battery condition!--passed its MOT today including a proper beam check.
Do you have a link to these good LED H4 bulbs, I see loads on ebay but no way of telling if they're any good, Also I notice some of them jut out the back a bit more ...oooer missus ....I guess this could be an issue trying to fit into an enduro light which are quite shallow.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

look for the triangular shape with big single LEDs--one comes on for dip and the other two for main. Yes they do stick out at the back a bit so you need side entry wiring for a start--its for the cooling fan for the electronics , NOT the bulb bit. You do need room--KTM enduros in particular have the back of the bulb close to the headstock. I have them on my WR250R and Kawa SS as well as my Tansalp--and loads of miles , jetwashes etc and 100% reliable. HIDs are useless in that by the time you've pressed the flash button the incident is over as they take a while to warm up. LEDs are the modern way on new bikes so we might as well take advantage of the tech.--if it works--and if you have a problem you can always carry a spare H4 bulb tucked away somewhere.

Return to “TECHNICAL”