Crystallised Brake Fluid

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ewaninn

Crystallised Brake Fluid

Post by ewaninn »

I have a R1200 GS TE 2014. It has now done 25,800 miles and has a full BMW dealer service history with the same dealer. Yesterday I put it to a different BMW dealer to get serviced. Later that day they phoned to ask about its service history and asked if the brake fluid had ever been changed. I explained it had a full service history as they could see from the service book but they asked if I knew if the fluid had actually been changed as it has crystallised and they were having difficulty getting it cleaned out so may need new master cylinder etc. My service records show the brake fluid as having been changed at the service in 2017. I am of the opinion there is no way it should be crystallising if it was changed. Has anyone else come across this or any knowledge/advice they can give? Thanks.
johnnyboxer

Re: Crystallised Brake Fluid

Post by johnnyboxer »

You paper records may show it - but how do know if it was actually changed .......?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ewaninn

Post by ewaninn »

I know but that's a difficult one to prove.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Normally it is required every 2 years and should not crystallise within that short period. I have only had it happen on "classic" bikes that have been stood for years and then only needed a pin stuck in the brake reservoir fluid "return" hole to fix the issue as that is where the problem is if the brakes are sticking on (modern systems obviously have more complex systems so more potential for damage). Were you having problems before taking the bike in ? In the past I have been charged for the change and it has not been done but that was on a car. Very difficult to prove wrong doing on servicing dealers part, might have been easier if you had taken it to the dealer where it has been getting serviced, have you moved away from the area or not happy with that dealer for some reason ? Good luck getting this sorted.
ewaninn

Post by ewaninn »

I wasn't having any problems which I find strange so wonder how bad it actually is. I'll find out more today. Moved nearer to dealer bike is at hence why it is there. No other reason as didn't expect this. Thanks.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Over the time frame either side could claim inference by the other. It might however be worth simply contacting the original service dealership inviting them to comment as they might want to get in touch with the 'new' dealer before denying/accepting any form of responsibility or offering some assistance.

Perhaps this effect has only recently manifested itself and simply shows why the time frame for change is important rather than mileage. I change the fluid on the trail bikes at least twice a year, simple enough and not expensive.

I too, as Onslowe has said, have noticed this effect more on older marques and I put it down to electro chemical interactive corrosion of the metal rather than a failure of the fluid itself.

TTFN

Hugh.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I had to look at an old beemer that had been stood for about 15 years. The guys wife took ill so the bike was just put in the garage and left, I don't think he even turned the petrol off!.
The front brake master cylinder was literally full of crystalised brake fluid, well not quite crystals , like a crystal jelly. Methylated spirits is what is recommended to clean brake parts as brake fluid is alcohol based.
Brake cleaner ( as in the aerosols) is not for cleaning brake parts, but for cleaning brake dust and shite off brakes, NOT for cleaning hydraulic components ( wouldn't it be nice if it said so on the tin) , It took a call to Lockheed technical to resolve that one .
On the beemer I did , a good clean with meths and a new set of rubbers and all was well. Dealers hey, if it needs the the master cylinder , why not the hose and caliper as well? I guess if their labour charges are over £100 an hour so it's actually cheaper to replace rather than fix , there has got to be a moral there somewhere.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've encountered some very neglected cars & bikes in my time, but this is a new one on me!
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Bought an old Aprilia trail bike a couple of years ago as a project.It had been stored in a damp shipping container for 5 years. The fluid in the front of that had crystallised.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've had it on old bikes that have stood a long time, like 10+ years, my DR needed a good clean out and new seals.

Steve

Return to “TECHNICAL”