Safety and learning to ride again...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hugh

Re: Safety and learning to ride again...

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Russ,

Might I suggest that you look out for a 'Dead Easy Trial' which many clubs now offer.

They are an introduction to trials riding and improve slow speed manoeuvrability, balance, throttle and brake control, improve confidence and just importantly are fun. You would not need to attempt every section depending upon your bike and your own requirements.

Alternatively, as previously suggested get in touch with your nearest Advanced Motorists Group or Police/Fire service initiatives :D

TTFN

Hugh.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Tramp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 pm
Strangley enough its when sitting down as standing when on trails its second nature..

Suggestions please...
Sounds like your centre of gravity has shifted. Try heavier boots or leave you wallet at home ;)

Actually I always find a bike more stable with panniers. The difference with my old Pegaso was chalk and cheese.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Lol... Soho your still mad and greatbto hear you enjoying solo again... And stewie good advice and you know me too well with the cones :lol:...

Thanks to others for advice... Time to get some training... And stop a few bad habits best not posted... Red rage..
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Don't answer this...but think about how much you drink.

Some years ago, a combination of circumstances (all to do with other people, not me) meant that I gave up regular drinking, and drinking large quantities. It became something I didn't want to do any more.

I soon felt a hell of a lot sharper and calmer, and think my riding, driving and general attitude to life all improved. I was in what might have politely been described as a 'challenging' domestic environment at the time, and the clarity not drinking provided allowed me to find a way out of that without anyone getting hurt. I still have an occasional drink (singular) which I really enjoy, but no longer feel 'on a mission'.

Others report similar improvements after packing up caffeinated drinks, and fizzy drinks with high sugar and colouring content. I'm not prepared to contemplate giving up tea and coffee though.

Making an effort to 'be nice' to others on the road helps a bit too...just giving everyone a little bit of extra space. Well, it helps in Cornwall, but probably not in London where kindness is mistaken for weakness.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

:lol: me drink heavily 1 glass of wine and im anyones lol... And i dont have any inclanation to speed as cant afford too.. :o got to be goody two shoes for a few years and id say im generally a good rider/driver as spacial awarness is partnof the job...

I think the balance is a issue at slow speed and failing to slow down at junctions well thats inbread from hgv driving in the need to make progress as stopping atnjunctions slows you down as most hgv drivers know... 44t takes somenwinding up and pressure from boss... All this transferes to general driving...

I mostly ride very early in morning when apart feom power rangers out everyone else is alseep... Come lunchtime im home.. So no urgency just happy bimbling which maybe part of problem as hgv at 52mph you just look out window... Bad boy... Ha ha... Doing the same on a motorbike lulls you into danger and trouble...

These days i cant afford so dont ride with pissheads or fast dangerous road users... Soz but my choice as my licence is my livelyhood...
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Might sound a strange thing to say but staying hydrated is just so important. Much easier on 4 wheels than on 2. On long runs now I don't run tank to tank as its 200 miles, but do about 80 miles, then a few minutes and some water. At the second 160 its a case of petrol and water and foods. I can do over 500 miles in a day on that basis and arrive feeling quite fresh and unstressed.

The water and eating made a huge difference but so too does a good fit of bike and rider. Whatever you do, the bike has to feel right for you in terms of comfort, balance and feel, even if it makes everyone have a laugh.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
gspod

Post by gspod »

Hydration is a big one indeed, we got a couple of camel backs for a trip to the states a few years ago and it was a revelation after 30 years :o frequent, small sips keep you alert.

As for training- a lot of training schools focus on road craft rather than the actual factors involved riding a motorcycle. I’m happy to recommend I2I training.

Good luck
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

My son gave me a very good explanation on the hydration.

Typically we have about 8 pints of blood floating around inside us. But its a bit like our gas tanks.....usable quantity is a lot less. The rest is off in the little blood vessels bringing oxygen to far reaching places.......but the biggest users are the brain and the muscles. The usable amounts drop very very sharply if you are dehydrated....reducing the amount of oxygen going to brain and muscles.

The trick as pointed out by many here is to keep the small sips and regular rests and food intake going. The thing is to make sure the fatigue and hunger do not get a chance to set in, means you are not using your reserves.

Never laugh at anyone who insists on stopping off every hour for a quick break, By the end of a long day he will be the tortoise who gets there first and freshest.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Get some Training wheels

https://www.somersetadvancedmotorcyclists.org.uk/
do slow riding training

Return to “TECHNICAL”