Wet clutch change KTM 990 adventure 07

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
charlie.hart

Wet clutch change KTM 990 adventure 07

Post by charlie.hart »

Hi,

My clutch was slipping so I took plates out to have a look. Definitely worn so I've ordered replacements. I'm thinking now, since I'm changing clutch plates, I better change oil and filter? Due to the contamination of the oil from the damaged clutch plates.

My question is:

I want the oil to be hot so it drains well, so I want to start the engine. But I've already removed all the old clutch plates, it's just an empty basket in there. I put the clutch cover back on to keep dirt out etc. Can I run the engine with no clutch in there?

I'm thinking in theory it should be alright in neutral. Or should I just drain the oil cold?

Thanks,
Charlie
Toe

Re: Wet clutch change KTM 990 adventure 07

Post by Toe »

I would just drain cold. If it's sat for a while then a majority of the oil would have drained down from elsewhere too. If there is any contamination from the plates but it'll be minute.

Soak the friction plates in the same fresh oil you'll be using before installing them as well (overnight if possible). I realise this can be another hot discussion topic but IMO it's a wet clutch, so make the plates wet before installing them lol.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I wouldn't worry about running the engine before draining the oil...its a multigrade and will flow well at low temps. It may just take a little longer to drain and more of it will be in the engine and less in the tank.
Draining the oil when hot was more important in the 1950s when monograde oils were still in use. Back then, you had to use different oils in summer and winter because cold flow rates were so poor. Modern synthetic multigrade oils flow quite fast even when cold.
You may need to check the clutch springs too...even if they are still within the specified length, heat from the slipping clutch may have weakened them.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

As said drain cold.
When I do this I leave sump plug out overnight letting it drain
Measure how much you've taken out, makes getting the level right easier when topping up with fresh.

Leave the plates to soak over night. Make sure steel rings are facing the right way.
Check
http://www.ktm950.info/
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Yep just drain cold, if there is contaminates in the oil, best not run it around the engine more than you have to.
990Duck

Post by 990Duck »

Tip: when refilling the oil, put half in then turn the engine over before putting the rest in. This lets the oil move out of the tank making room for the rest.
bowber

Post by bowber »

As others have said drain cold overnight and take note of the oil filling procedure for the 950/990.
I've never worried about soaking the plates, I just cover them in oil before fitting but soaking them doesn't do any harm so soak away ;-)

Steve

Return to “TECHNICAL”