Himalayan Compass?????

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Podginator

Himalayan Compass?????

Post by Podginator »

Hi,

I have had my new Royal Enfield Himalayan for 3 weeks and I am very pleased except for the annoying compass. It keeps flashing "CA / HO" at me. I believe that this means it needs re-calibrating. According to the instruction book if you ride in a figure of 8 it will calibrate itself. After riding figures of 8 around several pub car parks it still flashes. I have also heard that sometimes it will just decide to work when "it's ready"?

I know that this isn't a major issue but on a new bike everything should work. Has anyone experience of this problem? I know if all else fails the bike is under warranty.

I suppose it speaks well of the Himalayan if this is the only issue I have to moan about! :?
Mike Horton

Re: Himalayan Compass?????

Post by Mike Horton »

It should calibrate easy enough, I'm sure you're dealer will assist I sorting it. For what it's worth the compass is only accurate to 45 degrees.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

It's a very common occurrence and deemed by many to be one of the quirks of the vehicle. There's no fix to it. It just sometimes doesn't work. Try riding in figure of eights is the common suggestion.

I'd also suggest you head over to the Himalayan owners thread on advrider.com or one of the UK owners facebook groups. Lots of information and support. The bike does have niggles, but pretty much all are easily remedied.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Mike Horton wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 pm It should calibrate easy enough, I'm sure you're dealer will assist I sorting it. For what it's worth the compass is only accurate to 45 degrees.
What is the point of a compass that you can’t navigate with?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

FatFreddy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:58 pm
Mike Horton wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 pm It should calibrate easy enough, I'm sure you're dealer will assist I sorting it. For what it's worth the compass is only accurate to 45 degrees.
A West of time...
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

FatFreddy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:58 pm
As useful as a sat nav with a flat battery.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

The compass is a completely pointless addition to the dash and in general the look and quality of the instruments is like something from Toytown. It's a real shame RE dropped the ball in this respect as they have a decent bike spoilt by simple to avoid issues. There is no need for super complex multi colour dash boards but if you are going to go simple at least make it work, be watertight and accurate.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

I don't know about anyone else but on a £4k bike I can make do with a compass that doesn't work. Head gasket issues seem to be the order of the day at the minute though. If I was RE that's where I'd be focussing my resources first.
Podginator

Post by Podginator »

I totally agree with the comments that a compass is not necessary - probably only slightly less useless than fitting an ashtray on your bike..... My gripe is, that it's irrelevant whether it's a £4k or £40k vehicle, it's new so everything should work as it's meant to. I suppose that's what warranties are for!

Thanks for the all the replies - first service due soon, so over to the dealer to sort!!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Mine did not work until they set it at the first service. All was fine until the last service 6000 miles when it seems to have developed a mind of its own again. I have never felt the need for a compass on a bike, but if it is there I would like it to work.
Cheers Jak

Return to “TECHNICAL”