Battery Advice

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
almar

Battery Advice

Post by almar »

I am about to replace the battery on my 2012 G650GS Sertao, Normally i have replaced with a Motobatt, as this would be the third motobatt in 5 years ! i appreciate being a sealed item its better for the bikes that are taken off road , but are they really any better than a lead acid item ? I know the 650 bmw are heavy on batterys but surely 3 batterys in 5 years !
clutchspring

Re: Battery Advice

Post by clutchspring »

Depends how your treating your battery , if you're not using the bike much and letting your battery go so low it won't start your bike with out having to change it up first then that's what could be killing you're battery's.

I have two Honda bike's both eleven years old & still have the original battery's fitted (yuhasa), if the bikes have not been ridden for any length of time I just pop then on the optimate charger for a couple of hours .
And when I do require a new battery it will be replaced with a nother yuhasa

Ian.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Iv'e had 2 bad motobatt batteries out of 3 (the first one was good and lulled me into a false sense of security :lol: )
I've never had a bad Yuasa.

If you are prone to leaving it long between rides go for a LiFe battery, I have 2 bikes with the cheapish Shido Life batteries, one has been in a couple of years and doesnt get ridden for months at a time, always starts fine
Its a trick............get an Axe
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'd recommend Hawker Energis Odyssey batteries.

I've got one in my KTM 950...it's smaller and lighter than the stocker...but better. Not a direct replacement, I had to put a spacer in the battery box.

http://odysseybatteries.com/motorcycles.htm

Made in Wales, too....
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

I like motobat they are a nice yellow colour and smaller and probably lighter than others but they have crap terminals and are are crap at starting bikes my experience lasted LESS than 2 years like for like, buy a a yuasa or exide bare in mind yuasa at least may sell more than one model for a specific fittment higher CCA for more money important uh ??????
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Plus 1 for the use of an Optimate charger, swop mine around the various batteries and always put on 24 hours on the one before I use it.

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “TECHNICAL”