Electrics - Pan European??

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
HarveyCamm

Electrics - Pan European??

Post by HarveyCamm »

Morning all
I had a problem with the electrics this morning, started up fine and ran for about 3/4 mile then stopped, all lights out and no electrics, nothing except being able to arm and disarm the alarm. Gave it a couple of minutes of head scratching and turned it back on fired up, ran for another minute while I turned round to head into nearby car park then stopped again lights out, rested it, came back on, started ran for 30 secs and then stopped again - left it in the car park and walked home, I'll fetch it with the trailer later.

I'm figuring that whatever passes for a main power solenoid is shutting down when it gets warm. It was ok when I parked it up last Tues - no blown bulbs or anything to suggest it might be overcharging - so has anyone got a better suggestion than swapping out the main power relay?

I think the bike and car get jealous of each other and break down for attention, I had to fix the top water hose on the car yesterday, blew itself apart on the A1 coming home from work!!

Cheers
Harv
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Electrics - Pan European??

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Before anything else, check the obvious...battery connections, earth and leads.

Check visually, check manually, feel if a terminal is hot to the touch. Pull it all about, look, feel and look again.

Betcha that's where the problem is.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if connections ok .. .. ..

sounds like dud battery?
[[is the regulator/rectifier ok? (common honda fault)]]..
.. .. does the battery need replacing?
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Well I went to fetch the bike last night with the trailer and once I'd got it home out came the multi-meter and alan keys. Battery was reading 12.5, and there was power into the fuse blocks so main connections seemed OK. Took the left side bodywork off as that's where most of the electric plumbing runs through and waggling the multi plug connectors did re-establish ignition lights etc - tracked it down to main feed up to ignition switch, the connector had corroded and broken off. 5 minutes later with the wire strippers and a decent sized bit of connector block, power is restored. I gave the new fix / bodge a good spray of grease to ward off the H2O and rebuilt the panel work.

I popped in a new set of spark plugs while I'd got easy access to at least one side - by 'eck they buried them deep when they designed the bike! :shock:

Soon be time for a new back tyre - oh the joys, it never ends does it!?! Still at just over 111,000 miles under my butt it deserves some TLC

Mr Simpson - where do I send the beer tokens? :P

Cheers for reading all - stay safe out there :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

No problem, mate...which reminds me...there's a CCM with skipped timing in the garage.

I've promised myself I'll make time to look at it after the pre- Commercial Vehicle Show rush has died down.

I've got a nasty feeling I'll have a bit more time on my hands, then :(

Return to “TECHNICAL”