Tyre Slime / Goo

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
#47steve

Tyre Slime / Goo

Post by #47steve »

A question about inner tubes?

Once you add a puncture resistant product, something like Slime etc to your inner tubes would you be able to add more air if need be say after a few days / weeks or would it seal the valve?

TA Steve
prg4967

Re: Tyre Slime / Goo

Post by prg4967 »

You can add air no problem..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have had the odd occasion where I couldn't get air in, and then took the valve core OUT--and still the tyre stayed up--wondrous stuff. In the end a piece of stick poked in to clear it, the valve core cleaned in water and reinserted--and then the tyre successfully reinflated!--you can't have it both ways!!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I recently bought a bike that had slime jn the tubes....changed rear tyre and used same tube and the valve pulled out of tube due to rotting of rubber....

Stuff of the devil i tell ya :lol: ..
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I use "Slime" as I think that it lubricates the inside surface of the tube, plus lots of baby talcum powder on the outside to lube between the inner of the tyre and the outer of the tube. Makes me smell nice too :lol: well better than I did before :roll:

Make sure the valve is near the 12 o'clock position to check tyre pressure.

I replace tubes at the same time as the tyre, might seem expensive but for me worth the extra pennies and less hassle later :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Just had this with my wifes bike, the old tyre had been fitted with a new tube and some OKO tyre sealer, just changed the tyre today and ended up fitting a new tube as well. My thinking was that the last tyre had been on for 1-1/2 years and the old tube can go into the last ditch spares as I was struggling with getting the old sealer out, it seems to have gone into lumps that block the valve tube so I'm not sure it would do it's job properly anyway.

Steve
crofty

Post by crofty »

What i like to do after I put the slime in is to blow up the tyre to 10/15 psi without the core in. Then turn the wheel with the valve somewhere between 9 & 3 o'clock and then let the air out, it does a good job of clearing the stem. Then insert the core and inflate to recommended pressure.
If you put the valve core in just after the slime it can clog the core and you get air leaking and eventually a flat.
Slime recommended the life of the product is 2 years inside the tube.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think the OKO in my wifes tube was going off hence the struggle to empty it out.
I needed to empty it as it's hard to balance the wheel with the sealant in.
Never had a problem checking or blowing up the tyre though.

Steve
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I use some wet tissue wound up like a cotton bud and clean all the slime out of the stem before I put the core in to prevent it clogging etc--and then take it for a spin to properly distribute it. There have been lots of comments about slime upsetting balance but to be honest I've never had a problem--rather the opposite--I think the physics of the situation is an even distribution, and even offsetting any out of balance vibration--now that has started a debate!!--but just imagine a centrifuge with a liquid inside-it may start off a bit out on distribution but centripetal force requirements will act on the LIQUID to distribute it without thickness variations.

Return to “TECHNICAL”