Yamaha Serow CDI

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Hugh

Yamaha Serow CDI

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Johnny, electrickery problems seem endemic :lol:

So, my Yamaha Serow 225, registered 2002, 4 JG2-010D model, was parked up before Christmas as a runner but now its a non-starter :!: I get just one spark when initially cranking the engine on the starter (no kickstart model).

I too have stripped the looms back to single wiring; alternator coils, magneto coil and pickup all professionally tested and no fault found; rectifier fully operational; new battery fitted; new ignition coil fitted; plug cap removed from HT lead and still only one spark per starter operation :!:

I now suspect the CDI unit but can not find any test data, only suggestion is replacement, I did look at a friend's bike but it is a different model and therefore has a different CDI unit.

My questions are; has anybody experienced this fault and how did they fix it, does anybody have any test data, does anybody know of a reliable company that can test/replace the CDI, or does anybody have a replacement for loan or for sale :?:

TTFN

Hugh.
Serow CDI.jpg
Serow CDI.jpg (205.49 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
garyboy

Re: Yamaha Serow CDI

Post by garyboy »

new spark plug and fresh petrol?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Done but thanks for suggesting.

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

clean and refit all ignition, LT, HT connectors ..at least one is ropey …. also one looks like one has got wet and could be tracking … also, replace the HT lead to spark plug ??
Last edited by garyboy on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Done, just like me :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

check u kill switch is all clean and dry and good connections
also, if fitted, the stand switch

also
make sure the cdi unit is sealed well and dry!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The fact that its sparking once and is then dying is the worst of all faults--and its not a simple break. You have checked the coil so my suggestions are either the hall effect pick up or the CDI as you have said. Both can be difficult to test--and may appear ok statically, so my best advice is to buy secondhand parts or borrow. Try the CDI first, and then replace the Hall effect pick up. I had an odd problem with my Honda Transalp and suspected the CDI--however, it wasn't--even simpler in that it was a flap of paper getting sucked into the intake under the seat. I've since swapped over CDIs just to check that I had a working spare--and I have a spare Hall effect also. Yes its a 100 quid but any subsequent problems will be a LOT EASIER TO DIAGNOSE. CDIs can suffer from dry internal joints over time and need to be de-potted and joints checked. I know its a common problem with early Hondas but I've no idea on Serrows--best get on the ADV forum as usual--and let us know.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Leads re-soldered, contacts cleaned, resistance of leads tested, routing and all contacts right through the loom :evil:

You have n't got a match have you :?:
IanB

Post by IanB »

Hi Hugh,

I can e mail you a full repair manual with all the test specifications, if you haven't got one already ?
Time knows no limits for days such as these.............
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Ian,

I would be most grateful, as I don't have one. I will PM you with my email.

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “TECHNICAL”