Fork straightening

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
chunky butt

Fork straightening

Post by chunky butt »

Hi gents, my recent purchase seems to have an issue with a bent fork, don't think it's the stanchion, but the larger ally chamber. There Marzochi upside down, does any one know where I can get them straightened, there about 6mm out me thinks at the top, no creases or metal fatigue marks, or does any one have a pair they want to sell ? Cheers
Godspeed

Re: Fork straightening

Post by Godspeed »

There’s a place I used to sort out some forks called Piston Broke in Bristol. They were fantastic, and pretty cheap, though it was about 3 years ago
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

B2E8A72A-BA47-4F75-94D0-CE0DEF50D62C.png
B2E8A72A-BA47-4F75-94D0-CE0DEF50D62C.png (144.95 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Give these guys a call.
http://www.revsracing.co.uk/contactus.htm

They rebuilt the suspension. On my KTM, quick turnaround and pretty reasonable
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I am a bit OCD when it comes to these sort of repairs, irrespective of how good the folks are at their job.

I would want to have the item thouroughly examined in an engineering lab for possible crystalline fatigue but that would probably mean destruction of the component even if it were not damaged, the cost might be more than a replacement new item too !

My worry is that even if it were subjected only to non invasive crack detection there is no way of knowing what is going on with the crystal structure of the metal under the surface.

Pays your money and takes your chances :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but have you tried loosening off the yoke/fork clamps and the steering stem top nut to try to realign the forks?
Also it could be the bottom yoke is twisted, try taking both forks out and putting a flat plate across the bottom face of both fork clamp bosses at the same time to look for gaps or remove bottom yoke and check on steel flat table to check for gaps. (Youtube is your friend if I'm talking in riddles).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Tonibe63 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but have you tried loosening off the yoke/fork clamps and the steering stem top nut to try to realign the forks?
Also it could be the bottom yoke is twisted, try taking both forks out and putting a flat plate across the bottom face of both fork clamp bosses at the same time to look for gaps or remove bottom yoke and check on steel flat table to check for gaps. (Youtube is your friend if I'm talking in riddles).
Cheers tonibe, the forks are out in the vice, gripping the stanchion, with said straight edge across them is showing a bend, approx 6mm on turning the tube, will set up my dial gauge tonight after work for accuracy. Did a quick measurement on the yolks and all looks good. Thanks guys for getting back to me, and I'll give those contacts a bell. Cheers
BobH

Post by BobH »

Give Steve at https://www.facebook.com/stmotorcycles.co.uk/ a shout this is his day job. Standup guy and well priced.
big al

Post by big al »

For what it's worth Chunky butt.
Throw them away and get new ones.
Safety is paramount.
Al
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

What big Al and others have said, metal in the fork caseing is not sacrificual and won't like being bent once let alone twice when you bend it back, something to do with all the somethings lining up in the same direction, think of how you snap a peice of metal repeated bending and then snap!

Return to “TECHNICAL”