hot grips wire?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
kev.t

Re: hot grips wire?

Post by kev.t »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 pm When the thermostat went on my old Mum's iron, she tied a knot in the flex to slow down the electricity so as it wouldn't get too hot too quickly.

I hope this helps.
:lol: :lol:
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Nigel wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 pm Bear in mind you probably grip the throttle more than the left grip and that can make it feel warmer.
Yep. It doesn't take much for the grip to loose it's heat, just operating the clutch is enough to let air move around your hand and cool everything down. You could wear a thicker glove on your left hand; or is it on your right hand so the heat can't get through so easy :?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thedktor wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:14 am Can you carefully remove the grip Gary? Sounds like you need to puts some insulation on the bar as suggested, tape will help.

Ah, I suppose the heated bit is stuck on, not so easy then!
thankyou for a sensible reply, Steve.
(so much bloody vindictiveness on these forums)

the grip is not glued .. i never do that .. but it is a very tight fit

when the weather improves i will check all the wiring, changing all the contacts, and try shortening the LH wire.

thankyou Steve
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

In all seriousness...the left-hand grip will drain heat into the metal handlebar, the right-hand grip is insulated by the plastic throttle tube.

Some grips have a 'hotter' left-hand grip, others come with an insulating sleeve to squeeze between the grip and the bar.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 am In all seriousness...the left-hand grip will drain heat into the metal handlebar, the right-hand grip is insulated by the plastic throttle tube.

Some grips have a 'hotter' left-hand grip, others come with an insulating sleeve to squeeze between the grip and the bar.
thankyou Richard .. I have read that length of wire affects heat given? .. I may try some not so gooey (wide, sticky) tape?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Next time you go for a ride, when you stop leave bike running with grips switched to high for a good few minutes, feel grips with bare hands to see if any significant difference in temp feel.

As has been said you do tend to grip and constantly grip throttle side more than left and it doesn't take much in cold weather with the odd wave and scratch of crotch to lose any heat built up in the grip.

As to removing the grip you might find it easier to remove now have the grip to high will soften all making it easier to remove, don't over twist as you may brake the element you can use a high pressure air hose to blow it of if you can get access.

I use hair lacquer on my grips gives you a bit of lube putting on and when dry will act as a glue but must leave to dry properly overnight.

No Vindictiveness meant or intended in my post, earlier.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 pm When the thermostat went on my old Mum's iron, she tied a knot in the flex to slow down the electricity so as it wouldn't get too hot too quickly.

I hope this helps.
My mum would iron on the floor as she reckoned the electricity flowed down faster so she could get job done quicker
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Electrickery is made up of smoke, quite often when an electrickery thingy fails you will see smoke leaking from the flexible pipe, point proven :lol: :oops:

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

garyboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 am In all seriousness...the left-hand grip will drain heat into the metal handlebar, the right-hand grip is insulated by the plastic throttle tube.

thankyou Richard .. I have read that length of wire affects heat given? .. I may try some not so gooey (wide, sticky) tape?
The wire obviously forms part of the electric load...but I wouldn't have thought there would be much difference in this application, TBH.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

just for info I've repaired heated grips/made my own using CONSTANTAN type K thermocouple wire available from RS etc (used to be from Maplins until they folded). Just use a loop length thats suitable for a few wraps around the grip (in epoxy) using your finger in the end of the loop so that it goes out and back without touching. You can do a remote test with a good meter on the chosen length by plugging it in to a 12v supply and measuring the current--and seeing how hot the wire gets--the point about CONSTANTAN is that the resistance doesn't change with temperature unlike most resistance wire--so you don't get a current run away. Just a few quid for the wire and a bit of time beats the silly prices charged by some manufacturers--its not rocket science--just a piece of wire that gets warm with a couple of amps of current flow.

Return to “TECHNICAL”