Wheels and tubes ..

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Wheels and tubes ..

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Lately ive been running extra thick michelin tubes with triple OQ rubber grease smeared all over the tube and it works wonders up to now no pinch flats and no issues with punctures ...

I come across this today after a friend mentioning a double tube method and wondered if anyone had tried it on there motorcycle ... simplt get a flat pump up the other tube and off you go ...seems like a good idea if it will work it seems to work on mtbs so why not enduros or motorcycles

Would be quicker than plugging or patch repairing as all i would have to do is pump ut up and limp home or carry on ...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycl ... be-system/
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
halfpint

Re: Wheels and tubes ..

Post by halfpint »

would think the heat and chaffing between the tubes would be a problem . must be better to run slim in one just one tube .
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Too much weight which will cause the wheel assembly to be dynamically unstable.

I use "Slime" as I think that it helps to lubricate the tube internally to prevent snake bite punctures. Thoroughly add french chalk (unwanted talcum powder) to the inside of the tyre and make sure no spokes sticking through the rim tape.

TTFN

Hugh.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I used to cut the valve out of an old heavy duty tube, slice the tube open around the inside circumference, put the new (heavy duty) tube inside the old and loosely tape the two together ........ so basically putting a rubber sleeve over the tube to stop thornes and compression/pinch punctures even at low pressure on a CCM644 (heavy). When changing worn tyres the same inner tube 'assembly' was reused.
The 'assembly' was a swine to fit but atleast it was warm and dry in the workshop instead of cold/muddy/wet on the trails or even worse during an event.
The only time I can remember having punctures was when I wasn't using this method.
The only thing I would add is that I wasn't doing lots of roadwork between trails/stages so can't comment on the effect of heat build up from sustained high speed which would be something to consider, the same as it would with running a mousse.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Mousses are the way to go. But I could never fit them myself :oops: .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Mousses are not legal for road use (including green lanes), as you can't deflate the tyre.

Three points..and the court can consider each tyre a separate offence

https://www.richardsilver.co.uk/motorin ... ces/tyres/

So that's six points: halfway to a ban; plus you WILL have problems getting insurance next time around.

You can give the appearance of not having a mousse by sticking a tubeless valve in the rim. You will probably get away with this at a roadside inspection, but in the event of a KSI RTA the police are now in the habit of treating the area as a crime scene, gathering up all the vehicles and wreckage, then spending months picking through it all.

I'm not saying don't run mousses, I am saying don't go into it with your eyes closed as to the possible consequences.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

a second tube seems a good idea .. how about a triple tube, as an idea .. specially made for the 3 to fit that rim .. with 3 valve places, .. as a puncture is normally centre, or left, or right.

its about time someone invested in a simple solution to our puncture problem?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Just to back up Richard's points here are two screenshots from the latest online statements from two mousse manufacturers;
Michelin.jpg
Michelin.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Metzler.jpg
Metzler.jpg (57.7 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
I totally agree that they are great products but in these days of legislative claims, etc, I would not recommend their use on road bikes, remember that 'green lanes - UCH/UCR/White roads - BOAT' are all part of the road network. The first things that an accident examiner looks at are the tyres :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I remember reports from the old Wynns Safari Rally in Australia, where some European riders rocked up with mousses and had their rear tyres catch fire at high speeds.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:55 am Mousses are not legal for road use (including green lanes), as you can't deflate the tyre.

Three points..and the court can consider each tyre a separate offence

https://www.richardsilver.co.uk/motorin ... ces/tyres/

So that's six points: halfway to a ban; plus you WILL have problems getting insurance next time around.

You can give the appearance of not having a mousse by sticking a tubeless valve in the rim. You will probably get away with this at a roadside inspection, but in the event of a KSI RTA the police are now in the habit of treating the area as a crime scene, gathering up all the vehicles and wreckage, then spending months picking through it all.

I'm not saying don't run mousses, I am saying don't go into it with your eyes closed as to the possible consequences.
As far as I know this is the current regime: https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/ ... ection_5.2

I cant see anywhere about mousses not being legal. Not being contentious here but it would actually be very useful to have full clarification on this.

edited to add - clearly no one is going to use mousses on a roadbike, that would be madness. But bear in mind the speed attained on many desert rallies of well in excess of 130 kph, albeit not on the highway. It's not actually for a manufacturer to say not for highway use - they can advise it, but its not any kind of legally binding thing, its just to protect them in the event of a drama when used on the road.

Return to “TECHNICAL”