Bike won’t start

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Knighty

Re: Bike won’t start

Post by Knighty »

Hi all, thanks again for your help. Work has meant I didn’t get to look at the bike for a while.

Hugh, stripped carb down, gave it a good clean. Started bike, let it heat up, set idle at 1200 revs then wound mixture screw in until it started trying to cut out, then turned it back to original setting, then kept turning it out until it started running funny, then backed it back in a bit at a time until engine sounded good again. This was between 2,5 and 3 turns of the screw. Exhaust not glowing anymore. It also sounds better.
Will be giving it a test run on Friday. This will be the first time on the road since the rebuild.

Thanks again everyone for your kind help
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Very pleased to hear that you are making positive progress.

Hope all goes well with the test ride, if going on any green lanes please have a companion with you.

Good teamwork on this website.

TTFN

Hugh.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Given that the bike is only sat there idling I would be surprised if it's a mixture problem. In my experience this tends to create a hot cylinder and spark plug. It sounds more like Richard says, either bad ignition timing - but you'd notice other things like difficult starting (now you've got the electric sorted!) lumpy running, low power, pinking/knocking etc, or an exhaust valve held open so the header sees the actual combustion under pressure which will be very hot.

I've had it with a Honda twin - on pipe glowing orange, the other normal. Very disturbing :shock:

Return to “TECHNICAL”