Navigation using an android tablet.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
frenchy3

Navigation using an android tablet.

Post by frenchy3 »

I was looking at the new AJP PR7 and i notice it has a Samsung tablet which according to the blurb can be used for head up display instead of the small koso digital speedo. It also says load your favorite navigation apps and use as a large screen sat nav. I understand most tablets have a built in GPS if you enable the location and switch on the wifi but my question is about the mapping. I currently use a Garmin Map62stc which obviously has it,s own built in mapping but how do you use a tablet in the middle of nowhere without burning up all of your mobile data on Google maps or similar or in really inaccessible areas have no data connection at all?
Has anyone else tried this kind set up with any success ?
Thanks in advance.
Steve.
herman

Re: Navigation using an android tablet.

Post by herman »

Have a look at Osmand, others are available. You download maps, 7 free I believe, enable the gps chip and you don't need data. I have been using my smart phone thus for several years as both a back up to the montanna and a find my way back to the horse box when out hacking.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

herman wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:29 pm Have a look at Osmand, others are available. You download maps, 7 free I believe, enable the gps chip and you don't need data. I have been using my smart phone thus for several years as both a back up to the montanna and a find my way back to the horse box when out hacking.
Thanks very much, i was hoping there was an easy solution as a smartphone/tablet can do so much more than a basic gps. The only advantage with my Garmin is that i have full OS maps of the UK on it but it has such a tiny screen for my ageing eyesight :oops: :oops:
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

There is a Huge thread iver on adv and on the tet forum giving pros and cons and a very good thread on here by danielS and someone else... Use trhe searxh function or do a google searxh its worth the effort...

No slaging intended
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I use my samsung A6 in truck its friggin excellent but too heavy like most for a moto, plenty rugged phones on fleabay but and a big but you need good routing and vents or thwy ovwrheat...

As has been said check out adv rider not all that glitters is gold... Aka Iron pyrite

also dont forget any phone used as a navigational devise when used by fingers while riding is classed as using the phone so 6 points and 200 quid fine same with a tab that has a sim card inserted....thats in uk but surely the same in Europe. :lol:
Last edited by Tramp on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herman

Post by herman »

Osmand uses open source mapping and I find it easier to read than full os as there is less detail and you can filter out more. The montanna is still the daddy mind and I had to give up on my etrex for the same eyesight reason. Even then the montanna is on my bars and a ram mount extension to get it in my face as it were.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

I use Viewranger on my Note 4 phone, and Nexus 7 tablet. Maps are stored locally, so no need for internet connection.

As far as " most tablets have a built in GPS if you enable the location and switch on the wifi ", that may be true for Apples products, but not for Androids, in my experience.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Not an android user but... maps.me is free and uses offline mapping. You download an area or country depending on size and number of roads, etc and can use it for navigation.
Obviously you'll need a connection at some point to download the areas but can remove them to free up space and it'll keep any pins for POI, etc in that area.
Whether it's the best option for you or not, you can only test and decide. It certainly saved me in a range of places like Thailand, Myanmar, and of course the UK.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

UKJeeper wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:53 pm I use Viewranger on my Note 4 phone, and Nexus 7 tablet. Maps are stored locally, so no need for internet connection.

As far as " most tablets have a built in GPS if you enable the location and switch on the wifi ", that may be true for Apples products, but not for Androids, in my experience.
Thanks,i have viewranger already and have purchased OS mapping for east anglia and i never thought of using that :( :( :(
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

herman wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:09 pm Osmand uses open source mapping and I find it easier to read than full os as there is less detail and you can filter out more. The montanna is still the daddy mind and I had to give up on my etrex for the same eyesight reason. Even then the montanna is on my bars and a ram mount extension to get it in my face as it were.
I have just downloaded osmand on my phone and it works great. I downloaded the world map overview and the east of England which gives me five more free downloads for France,Portugal,Spain etc. Mine located fine but the map did not scroll like my Garmin Map62 and it doesn,t remain track up so i had to keep turning the map by hand which wouldnt work on a bike on the move but it is probably something i havent configured correctly.

Return to “TECHNICAL”