Garage/Shed

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tripster1050

Garage/Shed

Post by Tripster1050 »

Not so much technical but..... I am moving home soon and new property has an old concrete sectional double garage at the end of the drive. Old house had a breeze block single skin garage.
I’m looking into a bespoke Timber garage and would like to know peoples thoughts, comments or better still pictures of Timber man sheds if you have any for ideas. It will be for my bikes and tools mainly. Current concrete garage 17’10” x 16’4”
Would like something warm, secure and a bit of a place to escape and relax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
herman

Re: Garage/Shed

Post by herman »

Assuming the slab is ok and has not broken it's back put 3 courses of class b semi engineering bricks round with a dpc and ensure drainage and ground levels are good. Then build a stable block.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

herman wrote:Assuming the slab is ok and has not broken it's back put 3 courses of class b semi engineering bricks round with a dpc and ensure drainage and ground levels are good. Then build a stable block.
Stable block ? Liking this idea. I’m assuming going the timber route is cheaper than brick built garage at £15k + ?

herman

Post by herman »

Probably not cheaper to be fair but a single skin masonry building will condensate yet a timber frame can be insulated and the walls remain at roughly 125mm. Lighter too for that existing slab. The old concrete garage slabs were not exactly heavy duty so you need to be a bit careful at the start.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Just remember to check for planning and building regulation requirements. May be exempt, may not. If you need help, were based in Shipley, West Yorks, but do work across the whole country. Give us a look

https://www.onedesignarchs.co.uk/projects

Paul
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Earwig wrote:Just remember to check for planning and building regulation requirements. May be exempt, may not. If you need help, were based in Shipley, West Yorks, but do work across the whole country. Give us a look

https://www.onedesignarchs.co.uk/projects

Paul
Thanks Paul, I am from Bradford, Eccleshill area originally until I met the wife 10years ago. I know Shipley well as my parents still live over there. Many a day spent with nose pressed against Cobb & Jaggers window before they moved & became Ducati/Triumph dealer

OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

herman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:23 pm Probably not cheaper to be fair but a single skin masonry building will condensate yet a timber frame can be insulated and the walls remain at roughly 125mm. Lighter too for that existing slab. The old concrete garage slabs were not exactly heavy duty so you need to be a bit careful at the start.

+1. All the advice you need there I reckon.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

possibly you could do outer skin of structure .. ..
timber overlap boards
battens
vapour barrier
thermally insulating blockwork
insulating layer
ply sheets
Cone

Post by Cone »

Can I suggest you look at a company called Dunster house. Their buildings are very well put together. My dad has a summer house and it is fantastic and insulated
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

Cone wrote:Can I suggest you look at a company called Dunster house. Their buildings are very well put together. My dad has a summer house and it is fantastic and insulated
I will, many thanks for all the advice from everyone so far. Much appreciated Image

Return to “TECHNICAL”