Garage/Shed

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
paul_tim2000

Re: Garage/Shed

Post by paul_tim2000 »

https://www.tuin.co.uk/

I built a cabin from these guys a few years ago, excellent quality and fast delivery, choose a decent wall thickness then insulate it if you feel the need, we didn't bother.

Only issue with this, log cabin, style is mounting anything to the walls, because the wood changes size with the season, you need to be really careful when spanning more than one log height with any attachments (lots of slots and expansion gaps needed).
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

And whats wrong with Tin then? ( Corrugated iron) Its cheap, rigid, durable Secure , compared with a wooden shed ( chainsaw burglary?) It's easy to put on a timber frame similar to that which you would use for a timber shed and can be insulated and ply lined. My tin shed is 91 years old now, so no issues with durability there then.
NICOLA~2.JPG
NICOLA~2.JPG (50.37 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

steve the grease wrote:And whats wrong with Tin then? ( Corrugated iron) Its cheap, rigid, durable Secure , compared with a wooden shed ( chainsaw burglary?) It's easy to put on a timber frame similar to that which you would use for a timber shed and can be insulated and ply lined. My tin shed is 91 years old now, so no issues with durability there then.
NICOLA~2.JPG
I had an NSR250 stolen from a tin shed years ago. They basically cut it open like a tin of tuna. Nothings truly secure. If they want it then they will get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yes … but Some metal sheds are connected direct to the 33,000 volt nearby elec pylon :lol:
out of hours 8-)

Image20180603_145107_LI by gary boy, on Flickr
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Tripster1050 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:31 pm
steve the grease wrote:And whats wrong with Tin then? ( Corrugated iron) Its cheap, rigid, durable Secure , compared with a wooden shed ( chainsaw burglary?) It's easy to put on a timber frame similar to that which you would use for a timber shed and can be insulated and ply lined. My tin shed is 91 years old now, so no issues with durability there then.NICOLA~2.JPG
I had an NSR250 stolen from a tin shed years ago. They basically cut it open like a tin of tuna. Nothings truly secure. If they want it then they will get it

There are ways of building timber sheds with anti burgular walls quite economically :) Nothings 100%, but you can make things quite hard and slow, which puts off most less savory bods.

Paul
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

garyboy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 pm yes … but Some metal sheds are connected direct to the 33,000 volt nearby elec pylon :lol:
out of hours 8-)

Image20180603_145107_LI by gary boy, on Flickr
Feck em light fingered bods, turn up the voltage....... :lol:
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a 12 gauge blank and tripwire alarm, plus other more offensive "tools" to hand--all "legal". One of the simplest systems is to install a wireless baby alarm--one in the shed and the other receiver on your bedside table--I can hear raindrops on the roof etc--and the brain is very good at reacting to unusual noises , even when you are asleep. My alarms are also individually powered so they always work, even when the power is cut. As you say you can't physically stop them ( but no comment on that), but you can slow them down--you need several "hoops" that they have to jump through, not just one big chain.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

catcitrus wrote:I have a 12 gauge blank and tripwire alarm, plus other more offensive "tools" to hand--all "legal". One of the simplest systems is to install a wireless baby alarm--one in the shed and the other receiver on your bedside table--I can hear raindrops on the roof etc--and the brain is very good at reacting to unusual noises , even when you are asleep. My alarms are also individually powered so they always work, even when the power is cut. As you say you can't physically stop them ( but no comment on that), but you can slow them down--you need several "hoops" that they have to jump through, not just one big chain.
Agree, all you can do is slow them down and make it a pain to target you.
Back on topic though I do like the warmth of a timber shed/garage

catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I agree on warmth--and lack of condensation--mine stores everything very well.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I look with envy on the man sheds often shown on here :cry:

Since losing home with shed, plus having to move several times (long story) I have not had a warm dry biker shed to work on the bike :? :)

I recently caught a chill trying to force nature (oap) and work outside, and …. :roll:

Return to “TECHNICAL”