Online shopping is it really worth it.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Online shopping is it really worth it.

Post by Mikekitts81 »

So i was reading the forum and the post on the ebay items that cost more than they do when you buy elsewhere
Ive bought many different things online at costs of over the price in the shop and even at face value but then it got me thinking is it really worth buying ofline cause i pay that cost but then also pay more .

With all the parts i have bought ofline i usually pay atleast between 5-8 pound on delivery and some times a little extra for next day and thats just the delievry alone today i bought a retaining screw for my sprocket change on my 660 it was from fowlers 2pound sommat but i ended up paying nearly 6 quid just to have it ordered .

So if i added all that up i think the money over a lifetime could have bought me atleast one other bike or atleast paid for the enjoyment for me to go and get it myself so is it really worth us buying online .my local mx shop and motorcycle shop is only down the road and other major companys not to far away so why do we buy offline so much, i would rather atleast put the postage money in feul and ride and enjoy the ride going to were it is iam getting my parts. for one it helps the local bussiness stay open and two it gets us out and about on our bikes more so we can enjoy them more
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
OnHellas

Re: Online shopping is it really worth it.

Post by OnHellas »

Fowler’s are a major supplier of genuine motorcycles parts in the U.K......to the trade.
As well as to us punters.

Lots of the small local shops have an account with Fowler’s. They still have to pay P&P but if you’re patient they sometimes put an order together, especially if you need a very inexpensive part, and so spreading that extra charge.

The outcome is a win win. Fowler’s make a bit, your local dealer makes a bit and hopefully survives for another week and you get the part that you want for the same price as Fowler’s without the P&P. Plus, you’ve got a local dealer that you can build a relationship with that will hopefully recognise you for the right reasons.
ie you spend money in his shop, and are nice to deal with.

Go and ask them, it may work. It should do.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

deffo worth it ..

some very recent buys …. spread over large area of the country and varied stuff .. how much petrol to get? ..

Image20181211_211230 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

garyboy wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:25 pm deffo worth it ..

some very recent buys …. spread over large area of the country and varied stuff .. how much petrol to get? ..

Image20181211_211230 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr
For me in petrol for that lot in the photo it wouldnt cost me much i think i could get it all within a 15 mile radious at most. But its the cost of items were they considerably cheaper than the high street retailers . Was it chinese imported stuff or did you just pay face value with postage and packaging ... its like the other post i read on ebay stuff alot of stuff on ebay or online now is drop ship selling or is just alot more in price than a local place is selling them for.

For me i think i could get it for a good price closer to home and save on petrol .

I try to aviod stealfords as halfords is one of the most expensive places i have ever been so go outdoors would have probably been alot cheaper for the rope or atleast just a local handyman store.

I think we trade alot for the ease of just being able to get on a phone computer and see everything and have it dropped shipped in for a price.

And sometimes we could hsve easily just popped out on the bike and got it at a better price and used the postage and packaging cost in feul and enjoyed the ride aswell .
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Clearly you have a lot more time on your hands than I do if you're willing to drive around and pick these things up. Also, I'm not going to get knocked off my bike when buying online, wear my tyres, use my petrol or my brake pads. I'm not going to get wet, cold, irritated with the poor driving of car users or have to take off my lid at a petrol station to get fuel. I can just sit with a brew, choose what I want at the best price I can find it. I will ensure that is a UK based business, and I will try to shop there repeatedly, thus getting the odd favour when I need it for a speedy delivery, a free delivery or whatever.

As for mail costs, they are what they are. So many people thing the cost of post is simply the item carriage price, when its packaging, time, human intervention, picking, checking, sealing etc.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Every item was free postage or used a bus pass :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

remember that things like ..` local hardware store` .. no longer exist!
that big useful companies like, `dixons, maplins?, hypervalue, comet ?, etc etc` .. no longer exist!
that `local` bike shops have long shut down!

to pick up e.g. that front sprocket is either a 60 mile round trip or 80 mile! for me. (£6, even at 70mpg)
and severe man flue is even worse when having the garage girls swoon over me (again) getting expensive petrol.

flex number plate .. £9 ..(not yet arrived) ..[[local bike shop ???? ]]
5 waterproof handlebar 12v switches, 4 hd fuses in cases, multi set of crimp connectors, .. £32
2 core 12v cable x10m .. £9
4x 8mm wire secur cables 2.5m .. £36

all next day deliv .. at £0.00

plus (before amz prime trial offer)
a few days deliv at £0 cost = cree lights at £5 ea ..(x4 = £20)

the JT 13t non std `special order` sprocket cost £1.99 deliv on top of the £6.50 from mandp

I rest my case coz its getting a bit heavy :)
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

not so long back, oem parts were very expensive
and we got used to the fact
but then china Malaya ebay etc could supply much cheaper
and we got used to that
but thought quality was lower

to compete .. main dealers seem to have lowered their oem prices
as they are now made in china etc anyway
This is why it is best to check your main dealer first perhaps
as they could well be cheaper.

but amazon, ebay, etc give us world wide access
to a world variety of goods
delivered with incredible modern logistics
at economies of scale
giving competitive low prices
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I do a bit of both

We have sine excellent engineering suppliers in town where you can sift through all manner of fasteners and other stuff
You usually find a lot more things that 'will come in handy' and end up spending more and then 100 yds up the road we have Eurotek KTM which is a great bike shop and has a good discount scheme - so I support them for bits and gear
In the town the other way we have another KTM dealer for road bikes and other marques
They have a great array of clothing and spares etc so I shop there
In the town north of me we have a massive agricultural warehouse which has just about everything in, for home & garden and outdoor clothing etc - a true emporium
20 miles away we have another cracking small off-road shop and he gets all my Jap oem spares for me - plus does any mot etc

Some stuff I get online via eBay

You have to do a bit of both I reckon

However I do prefer local
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I buy online 8-) . Usually via eBay.

Recently I’ve bought a brand new Stator for £65 delivered but in the dealers or at an online shop they are £105. And I’ve just bought a pair of front and rear Pirelli Diablo Stradas tyres for £115 delivered but at the dealers they would be closer to £185.

I also buy my bikes on eBay. So far, no lemons and always cheaper including the travelling costs 😎.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “TECHNICAL”