Does anyone use a 'Tread Doctor' ?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daveuprite

Re: Does anyone use a 'Tread Doctor' ?

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm Really getting worried about you now Dave.......if it ends up anything like the last invention, fan/air con thingy , you could have issues with hot chisels :lol:

I shall have to invent an 'Anti-Steve-Worrying-About-Dave-Device'.

Of course, you have to stick it up your arse before you turn it on...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Lorry tyres have been regroved for years usung a simikar tool....also handg for removing the blocks in k60 tyres when they get low and mitas e07 too....i usec a chisel on a old mx tyre once worked for a few days....thought it was common practise on the mx enduro circuit to give the edge a clean up :o ...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Don't really follow speedway any more, but it was standard practice in that sport.

However, handcut/recut tyres are illegal for road use, except on heavy vehicle tyres which have an additional layer of rubber incorporated into the tread.

As Tramp says, it's pretty standard practice in road transport to recut tyres once down to about 3 mm tread. Companies like Michelin do this as part of their tyre management service (fleets are increasingly buying tyres on a pence per km basis).
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am
chunky butt wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm Really getting worried about you now Dave.......if it ends up anything like the last invention, fan/air con thingy , you could have issues with hot chisels :lol:

I shall have to invent an 'Anti-Steve-Worrying-About-Dave-Device'.

Of course, you have to stick it up your arse before you turn it on...
Easy tiger :lol: :lol:
herman

Post by herman »

Do you really need that extra sharp edge to keep up with those TTRs ? :twisted:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

herman wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm Do you really need that extra sharp edge to keep up with those TTRs ? :twisted:
Ha! The TTRs don't come out on our usual days. It's all KTMs, 450Xs, Betas and Huskies.

But that's not the point. I just hate throwing away tyres that obviously have more life left in them. In fact I pass on my old tyres to a couple of local young farm scrotes who rag the last out of them in the fields, or sometimes I sell a job lot for a fiver each.

Tyres are an environmental disaster generally. There are limited recycling routes for radial steel content and re-use of tyres in safety surfacing etc., but on the whole the volume of waste tyres far exceeds the recycling market demand. So we should all be making the most of them.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Amazingly...one of the best uses is to burn them in cement kilns.
herman

Post by herman »

I used to buy job lots of tyres from the mx guys for enduro and trail use as they used them for one race and quite frankly I cant tell the difference between a part worn knobbly and a new one, I still slip and slide all over. Quite a few horse training arenas have gone to recycled rubber surfaces but whilst they are ok for the horses impact wise you get covered in black shite, no good for competitions.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TECHNICAL”