New rear shock needed !

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
scooby

New rear shock needed !

Post by scooby »

Hi folks, I'm looking for some advice as my 2005 1200gs needs a new rear shock, it seems to be the spring that's worn out as I need to have it on nearly max preload even riding solo ( only weigh 13 stone ). I've had a Wilbers Shock before which was good, but I would like to know what other people have used as the best option for the bike.
I'm thinking of replacing the front as well so both ends are balanced.
Looking forward to some helpful advice.
DanielS

Re: New rear shock needed !

Post by DanielS »

An option may be to just get it rebuilt? My rear shock (62,000 miles 2006 1200GS) is literally going to the post office in the morning to be posted down to All Bike Engineering, I'm also sending a Hyperpro spring. They're going to refurb/rebuild the OEM Showa damper for £100 (+60 if I need a new chrome rod) and fit the spring (Hyperpro Spring cost me £80 from Calsport) So best case £180, worst case £240. I'm not a riding god by any means so a standard damper back on will be perfect. I also got a brand new front shock (Showa OEM) from ebay for about £50 so will fit that at the same time.
threepot

Post by threepot »

Try M shocks. Really good apparently? British made. I fitted a YSS to my Tiger a while back. Looked really good for the price,but it lasted just over the warranty. So I might replace with one of these?
http://www.shock-factory.co.uk/m-shocks-home.html
scooby

Post by scooby »

Thanks for the replys, having the shock rebuilt with a Hyperpro Spring is something I'm thinking about, but the M- shock looks pretty good especially as it's only about 25 miles from home if I need to go there.
Thanks to both.

Return to “TECHNICAL”