Heated Grip fitted correctly?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
gazxt1200z

Re: Heated Grip fitted correctly?

Post by gazxt1200z »

There is probably a lip on the throttle tube and they have butted the grip up to that,poke a thin screwdriver up it and spray in there with wd40 to get the grip off and then Dremel off the lip on the throttle,also they are a real tight fit so you can get away with NOT gluing the throttle side,there are three different lengths if you don't fancy doing any of that you can trim up to 10mm off no more.
Cone

Post by Cone »

I just fitted the ktm grips. They look very similar and I had the same problem. The instructions were terrible!!!

But at the bottom of the box there were two spacers which need to be fitted at the end of the grip to ensure that the guards could be clamped on without impinging the throttle rotation.

I managed to slide the clutch side slightly further on so it fitted fine
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Google is your friend. Looks like some trimming is acceptable.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A% ... 090efvg3q1

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
micksea

Post by micksea »

this is why i never pay anyone to do anything on my bikes,thats just wank and typical of what so called professionals get away with these days.with the help of google and youtube you should be able to do pretty much anything yourself.i would twist the grip either fully closed or open against the throttle stop,the glue will let go,then put something like a thick knife blade or similar between the switchgear and the grip to use as a spacer whilst tapping the grip further on using a piece of wood or a rubber mallet (hit it square on so as not to mangle the grip) then loosen the screws holding the switchgear and then tap the whole lot further on the handlebar until the grip is about 2mm past the end of the handlebar.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I was wondering what all that debris is in the grip end?

anyway .. the gap can be shortened as described by others.
but if there is a locating rim projecting onto the outside of the bar, surely its there for a reason (locating?).

just a little tip, possibly .. if you hold the handguards out from the bar tube, where you want them, PLUS a little operating gap, then tighten up the allan key, then they will hold there, reasonably, without the need to trim or move stuff or get spacers.

on my crf250L I bought the cheapest oxford heated grips, being a cheapskate, and cut out the ends of the grips [for handguards] (they were the closed end type), connected to battery directly (cheapies), then bodge fitted old handguards by taping wider the expanding fitting bolt and pulling to position .. .. they move as nothing is glued, but this is handy in a fall .. I mean `rest` :)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycl ... _commuter/

.. good enough for roughing over the mountains
and work well
and not too chunky
and got mine for the old (advertised) price of £45

but only has off/ low(useless)/ high(good)
Trevor Twobikes

Post by Trevor Twobikes »

Why do Oxford Products make several types surely a heated grip is a heated grip. Anyway, in my day in the seventies I remember arriving home after a night shift my hands were so cold that I had to use both to turn the key in the lock to open the front door. And the joy of bringing feeling back into my hands by holding them up in front of a one bar electric fire - Man up boys!

Trevor
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I remember the same in the late 60s but after 50yrs in the building trade my digits need all the help they can get :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
micksea

Post by micksea »

Trevor Twobikes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:50 pm Why do Oxford Products make several types surely a heated grip is a heated grip. Anyway, in my day in the seventies I remember arriving home after a night shift my hands were so cold that I had to use both to turn the key in the lock to open the front door. And the joy of bringing feeling back into my hands by holding them up in front of a one bar electric fire - Man up boys!

Trevor
thats when bikers were real men :mrgreen: i remember the days of almost sobbing (i didn"t......honest) from the pain as my hands warmed up.Plastic carrier bags inside doc martens only served to hold water IN.frosted eye brows from riding with the visor open in sleet,who knew that new visors didn"t come scratched to hell and ok with oncoming glare from headlights.
Tripster1050

Post by Tripster1050 »

HedgeHopper wrote:P.S. I have been thinking of fitting some oxfords to my new bike, are they much thicker than the grips originally on your bike (which looks like a crf250l at a guess) I don't get on with thick grips

P.P.S. Whilst it looks like you could them a little closer, I believe the oxfods come in 3 slightly different lengths,(sport/touring/adventure), too late now I suppose if you have the longer ones
They seem fine HedgeHopper, The dealer fitted when I bought so not really sure difference to standard. Definitely not thick though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “TECHNICAL”