garmin problem?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tramp

garmin problem?

Post by Tramp »

Okay on this weekends 2 day trip the old but dependable nuvi550 same as nuvi220 decided to brain fart whilst ridjng..

It basically started to do the computer connection mode thing mid route home :twisted: ...turned it off and back on and it still did it even with no pre planned route loaded...

But if i disconnected it from the 12v power so it used its own battery if was fine.....also the poi data base for fuel now shows tesco express etc...result i nearly had to push it....0.5 ltrs left in tank :lol:
Craig-SM

Re: garmin problem?

Post by Craig-SM »

I assume you’re using a genuine Garmin power cable to some kind of power port as using a generic usb cable will put it into computer connection mode. This is due to the pins for the power not being standard for powering whilst not in use.
You could try another genuine power cable or clean up the usb connections in case you have something preventing a good connection, try a fibre glass pencil and some IPA.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I had similar issues with my old Garmin.
It went haywire whilst riding in freezing cold and rain, I put it down to extremes of weather.
It wasn't right after that trip
Kept switching routes, preferences ( shortest route to fastest route)
Remember you took mickey out of me saying it must be me not the unit. :roll: :lol:

Never really trusted it after that so sold it on and bought the Montana.

On a recent journey I used my phone Google mapping, which was surprisingly good although I couldn't get the voice navigation to work with cars Bluetooth.
But I would be happy to use it in suitable case on motorbike.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I purchased a cheap cable to power my Garmin Map62 stc and it didn,t work and just went into USB charging mode. I purchased another cable from a more reputable source and it said 3.6 v supply and a warning about other cables that only supply charging voltage/current which would throw it into USB mode similar to when you plug into a laptop. You can still transfer files but not view the map screen or use any other functions. Garmin units can freeze and do rely on updating on the Garmin express programme occasionally. I have had minor problems with my garmins over the years but not enough to sway me to another brand.

Return to “TECHNICAL”