Removing baffles

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: Removing baffles

Post by catcitrus »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm I remember an interesting exercise done by, I think, Performance Bikes many years ago.

They had two Yamaha R6 bikes. One had been 'de-tuned' with cam profiles from a Yamaha Thundercat sports-tourer.

They invited a number of readers to ride the two back-to-back around a handling circuit they had constructed at Bruntingthorpe. They said one of the bikes had been modified, but didn't let on which one or how.

The bike with the mild Thundercat cams recorded the better time under the majority of riders...and was also the bike that the majority of riders picked out as the more powerful of the two.

It was actually less powerful than the stock bike in terms of peak power, but had more area 'under the line on the graph' when it came to torque.
torque wins again!--who actually winds the the throttle wide open on anything of a decent size--except in the odd drag race--and then its only held against the stop for a few seconds--absolute bhp is an irrelevance for most mortals--its driveability that wins .
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I well recall Norton Manx 500s suffering from "megaphonitis" whereby to accelerate out of a corner you basically covered part of the exhaust outlet with your boot until the revs built up. No boot, no back pressure, no low rpm breathing, no speed :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Fred Flintstone's EXUP system!

Return to “TECHNICAL”