Removing oil residue from aluminium tank

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
RichP

Re: Removing oil residue from aluminium tank

Post by RichP »

Andi_Archer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 pm Given the metal on the tank will be tainted by whatever it contained before can you not once cleaned, install some form of bladder to keep the water in so it wont absorb anything the the tank?
Unfortunately I can't. There is a tap at the bottom of the tank to drain the water off. If I can't get rid of the residue I'll probably go for some kind of sealant like the one above.
Toe

Post by Toe »

A good number of 'full fat', high sugar drinks could work like coke, pepsi, or particularly energy drinks. They contain citric acid at a pretty low pH amongst others which is used in cleaning products as it is.
Otherwise, boil up some lemon juice and pour that in. Worked wonders on my carb but sure does smell for a while.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Toe

Post by Toe »

A good number of 'full fat', high sugar drinks could work like coke, pepsi, or particularly energy drinks. They contain citric acid at a pretty low pH amongst others which is used in cleaning products as it is.
Otherwise, boil up some lemon juice and pour that in. Worked wonders on my carb but sure does smell for a while.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
RichP

Post by RichP »

Toe wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:23 pm A good number of 'full fat', high sugar drinks could work like coke, pepsi, or particularly energy drinks. They contain citric acid at a pretty low pH amongst others which is used in cleaning products as it is.
Thanks for the tips. A few people have suggested coke or something similar. If the salt trick doesn't work, coke might be next.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

I can see it now, you get pulled over and asked whats in the tank " Just Coke Officer!" :lol:
RichP

Post by RichP »

Benson-1215 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm Put salt in it and shake it about and leave for 24 hours add half a cup of water and shake again and leave fill completly with water and leave another 24 hours flush out then let it dry and let the oxidation happen.
coke can also work ( the sugary harmful drink not the white powder one :shock: )
Success! After following Benson's instructions and filling it with Coke, letting it stand for 12 hours and then rinsing the tank is now clean :D No more oily aftertaste. Thanks for everyone's tips and advice.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Glad you got it sorted.....does make you think what the he'll is coke doing to your stomach though.....flushing out the oil obviously :lol:
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Coke contains phosphoric acid, which is, I think, why it cleans coins (and presumably oil/water tanks). You might not want to remember that Jenolite rust remover is basically phosphoric acid!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

RichP wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 pm
Benson-1215 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm Put salt in it and shake it about and leave for 24 hours add half a cup of water and shake again and leave fill completly with water and leave another 24 hours flush out then let it dry and let the oxidation happen.
coke can also work ( the sugary harmful drink not the white powder one :shock: )
Success! After following Benson's instructions and filling it with Coke, letting it stand for 12 hours and then rinsing the tank is now clean :D No more oily aftertaste. Thanks for everyone's tips and advice.
Now if your going to use the tank for drinking water pop to your local Go outdoors and get some water purification tablets and set up a regular cleaning schedule as warm / hot water can be a breading ground for legionella.
Glad the coke worked as others have said its nasty stuff but one heck of a cleaning agent.
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'

Return to “TECHNICAL”