Conversion troubles

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mikekitts81

Conversion troubles

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Done a front end swap on one of my bikes for a more offroad suspension set up ... been rewiring the bike and just come across a problem the speedo is not digital but the off road set up does not have a speedo drive and didnt even think about speedos when doing it ...

So Do i need a speedo for m.o.t.

Can i use my phone on a mount with a gps speedo app

Is there a gadget out there to change to a digital magnet at the bottom end and stay with mechanical top ...
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
DavidS

Re: Conversion troubles

Post by DavidS »

I am sure a TrailTech works off it’s own set up.
I don’t think I used any of the Yam stuff on my old WR as that was cable drive.
Plus the Vapor is good kit.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
herman

Post by herman »

I have used a cheap cycle one before.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

+1 for trailtech use the more basic model for trails and you don't need all the info, you can set for different size wheels or tyre
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Mike,

In answer to your initial question you do not need a speedo for motorcycle MOT purposes - BUT - you do need a speedo to ride the bike on the public highway. There are three pieces of legislation which tend to blur into our understanding.

The purpose of the M.O.T. Test is to ensure that cars, other light vehicles (including some Light Goods Vehicles), private buses and Motorcycles over a prescribed age are checked at least once a year to see that they comply with key roadworthiness and environmental requirements.

The Construction & Use Regulations set standards for the manufacture, construction, maintenance of all road vehicles. This includes brakes, steering, vision, instruments and equipment, protective systems including alarms and the control of emissions. It also covers the use of hand-held mobile telephone or similar devices. The regulations concerned with vehicle construction contain a detailed prescription of the technical design and standards required of vehicles. They are very complex and generally, only manufacturers and others with a professional interest in the vehicle construction are likely to consult them.

The RTA covers the use of all vehicles on public roads, all aspects of vehicle use are included.

However within the terms of the MOT testing, revised this year, it might be possible that the inspector could choose to road test the bike, without a speedo that would not be possible so in such a scenario a failure certificate would probably have to be issued or an advisory depending upon the nature of the issue.

So, the answer is that a speedo is not required for MOT purpose but effectively you are stuffed without one :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “TECHNICAL”