BMW R1200 GS LC

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ollydog

BMW R1200 GS LC

Post by ollydog »

Gents, having just filled up in Wales with a full tank of fuel, immediately the bike began to miss fire on the button, hum me thinks it cant be the fuel straight off as the old fuel will still be in the system but did check the bill and checked with the attendant.

Limped along and then it cleared its self, got to work then on the way home the misfire the engine management light came on. I managed to clear this my manually reseting the TPS but it got worse. So change the plugs but not checked the clearances yet. Still won't rev at all and sort of ticks over at 2k rpm

Any thoughts

Steve
Brads

Re: BMW R1200 GS LC

Post by Brads »

Empty tank and refill with what you know to be clean fuel.

Kinda too coincidental to be somit else.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Yep save fuel in a clean container, then use super unleaded... If its fine get trading standards to chexk your fuel sample... Was it a rural garage? Or mainstream supwrmarket..... Could be dirt in their tanks if low... So check your fuel filter too.... Hot weather causes condensation in tanks.... Always refill in cool air in morning...
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Got to be fuel surely, as already said, drain existing fuel and refill with fresh from a good source.....good luck ;)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Happened before in Wales on my R1, but managed to get 100m meters down the road before it went tits up and that time it was a plug, this time i was low on fuel so will refresh and check the filters, will keep you posted

Steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Just checked, i don't this model has a fuel filter separate from the pump it may be a complete change, anyone know any different

Steve
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

you haven't put diesel in by ant chance.open the cap and smell it,easy done.
Rothy

Post by Rothy »

Olly I’ve experienced something similar on mine the last month. It’s happened a few times and usually happens when the bikes takes an extra few seconds to fire up. I thought it was fuel at first but after it cleared it then happened again few week later after refuelling.

It would miss fire and felt like I was running out of fuel every time I tried to open the throttle and couldn’t get it over 50/60mph.

I think my problem is down to a fault on the exhaust flap and recently it must have started sticking maybe??

Anyway I’m booked in for service next week so was gonna mention it aswell.
BMW R1200GS LC

2018 EuropeanTour
2Weeks, 4500miles & 17 Countries
🇳🇱 🇩🇪 🇨🇿 🇵🇱 🇺🇦 🇷🇴 🇧🇬 🇷🇸 🇧🇦 🇭🇷 🇸🇮 🇦🇹 🇮🇹 🇨🇭 🇫🇷 🇱🇺 🇧🇪
https://spark.adobe.com/page/j7rimGou6IOgR/
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

going to check the valves tonight not done for 9k miles

steve
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Steve,

I am not familiar with the nuances of your model of bike but two thoughts spring to mind, a blocked/kinked tank breather pipe or dirt in the petrol either from sediment being disturbed or introduced. There could be other reasons too but I always go for the last thing to be disturbed or the easiest to be checked.

Initially I would look for a breather pipe which might be a standard piece of pipe or an electrically controlled solenoid type valve. Second job would be to remove the pump for inspection and cleaning. I found this video which might be of interest;

Some injectors do have an inline filter which might need cleaning, check with a BMW service department.

TTFN

Hugh.

Return to “TECHNICAL”