Lazy starting !!!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mad Hatter

Re: Lazy starting !!!

Post by Mad Hatter »

I'm going to go completely against the grain here, when did you last do your valve clearances......
mikeXTZ

Post by mikeXTZ »

I have had similar problems on cars. Front bearing worn on starter motor??
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I had exactly the same problem mate, it turned out to be the starter motor dying. A cleaned up comm, new bushes and brushes and the motor turns over quickly now.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Mad Hatter wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm I'm going to go completely against the grain here, when did you last do your valve clearances......
About a month ago , but why ?
herman

Post by herman »

Tight valve clearance will do similar on a hot bike at times
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

PHILinFRANCE wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 am
Mad Hatter wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:34 pm I'm going to go completely against the grain here, when did you last do your valve clearances......
About a month ago , but why ?
Like Herman said too tight and it can give you trouble with hot starts, too open and you can get trouble with cold starts if there's an auto decompressor. I'd have been surprised if the donk did that but its probably something to look out for on the katoom as they can be a bit more tempromental, mine had cold start issues and it was barely over spec.

If you've already changed the reg/rec and starter solenoid of stick a meter across the battery when you try and start it to see just how much its dropping and after that look at the starter motor, either swap it out for your spare or strip it down and look for worn brushes, worn commutator or generally just being full of crap and oil.

That and the usual go through and clean all the earth's and connections and maybe run a pretty thick cable straight from the battery negative to the body of the starter motor and wait and see.
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

Not sure if this helps but I've had a gel battery on a Cagiva Gran Canyon fail like this,

Started the bike when cold but would not start the bike when warm, measured 13V or so when sitting but refused to turn the starter motor, I assumed it was a cell internally failing when warmed up by charging/heating on the bike, left alone until next morning it worked again :?

Changed the battery which cured it.

Return to “TECHNICAL”