Silencer wadding

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
diggermanbob

Re: Silencer wadding

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:56 pm
diggermanbob wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:25 pm
Tramp wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm Opps mine is 44mm internal diameter and has no end cap.... So reccon on 46mm outer diameter... Its a straight through exhaust too.... Brapp...
44mm is the biggest inlet that I have , let me know if it's any good , I could braze and modify the inlet if you need it. :D
do you have my email address mate if so can you send a picture of the silencer and what its off?....ta muckly ;)
Pictures sent its of Bmw 1150gsa
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Tramp wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm Okay my ccm 644 has a remus silencer with a short.. Well short bit of perforated pipe jp its ass... Does bugger all to quite it.... From the connector pipe its hollow.... Was thinking of packinv with wadding to deaden the awfull sound....

Yes it will restrict it and make it run rich but i want a quite bike....

Suggestions please.... The neighbours hate me

You might be surprised....many years ago, I had an interesting conversation with Les Williams, who ran the Triumph road race team.

He created Slippery Sam...the most successful bike to race at the TT ever. A Triumph T50 Trident.

Proddy racing rules of the time were you had to have the standard exhausts, but could gut them for more power. So, they gutted the reverse flow baffles out of the standard BSA/Triumph 3-exit 'ray gun' silencers, and got more noise, but LESS power.

So back to standard exhausts...and five consecutive wins of the I o M Production TT until 1975. By 1976 the Triumph Trident was no longer in production and Sam got retired, unbeaten, as he could no longer be counted as a 'production' bike.
bowber

Post by bowber »

A local MX/Enduro bike shop will have a variety of packing, I find the loose better than the mat, easy to do once you've got the end cap off.

Steve
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers guys...apparently my can cant be packed without cutting and welding as end cap is fixed by weld lol....got the pics this morning bob...ill be in touch soon..

Cheers
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:00 am Cheers guys...apparently my can cant be packed without cutting and welding as end cap is fixed by weld lol....got the pics this morning bob...ill be in touch soon..

Cheers
Ok mate no prob
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

For those that repack their cans, using rivets...

Just in the middle of packing the Arrow on my KTM - I looked around and the general consensus was Acousta-Fil was the best, I ended up buying some of their PTX packing. Theres a calculator on their website, just measure your exhaust and buy what you need. I bought mine from max_torque_cans on ebay.

Very easy to fit - just loosely wrap the packing around your perforated pipe, pop it all back together and after a short while of the bike running, it melts the thermal thread holding it in a sheet and it expands inside the can. I just need to rivet mine back together - I have alloy & stainless rivets, and I'm waiting on a lazy tong riveter coming to see if it'll handle the S/S ones (they're tough to rivet by hand usually).

D.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Okay update time.....i bought a ebay db killer baffle for 5 quid 45mm dia and slid that up thd silencer from where it joins pipe...

Well it's bloody ace so quite till 4000rpm then a tad louder but nowt like thd thunder from before.

I know now i can ride around the countryside jn peace :x ...one happy chappy....

Return to “TECHNICAL”