Tyre Time

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Redmurty

Tyre Time

Post by Redmurty »

Looking at the Tourance Next tyre as my TKC 70's are shot and acting a little odd so they are being binned. Anyone used the tourance next at all if so thoughts please

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
bowber

Re: Tyre Time

Post by bowber »

I've used Tourance Next, Conti TA2 and now the new Michelin Road 5 trails on my 1050 Adv.

I didn't like the Next on wet roads, I had odd slides so I went back to the TA2's. The Next was fine on dry roads and I got around 5.5K out of the rear.

Conti TA2's, found them consistent wet or dry with no strange slides, the TA front gets an alternating wear pattern that can create a slow speed weave, but now I'm more used to the bike I found that I'd reach the edge of the rear quite easily, around 7k from the rear.

The new Michelin Road 5's I'm liking a lot, very good in the dry (most tyres are though) on damp/wet roads this weekend they never gave any problems and I found them very stable and consistent on changing surfaces. No idea yet on mileage as I've only had them on for 500 miles or so.

None of these tyres are any better off road than any other road tyre, they're just available in the 19/17" sizes needed for most Adv style bikes

Steve
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I wouldn't go anywhere near a proper trail on them so if that's your plan I apologise for wasting your time, but having returned from a 1600 mile sh*te road bonanza, the Avon trailrider are excellent. Fantastic grip wet or dry, gravel and grass not a problem either. I had the back flick out a couple of times (wet cattle grid, gravel on tarmac) & they were straight back in line before I'd even been able to pucker up :D

I really like them & that was on my CCM, they seem more standard issue on the battleships
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

A tyre similar to the TKC70 is the Michelin Sirac. I had them on my XT600E, great tyre on the road, and any dry off-road surface. What use/mileage did the TKC70's give?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

AlanHolt wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 pm A tyre similar to the TKC70 is the Michelin Sirac. I had them on my XT600E, great tyre on the road, and any dry off-road surface. What use/mileage did the TKC70's give?
You have a PM Alan.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I would not go near the TKC 70's again the mileage as been poor compared to the Anakee's I have used before, there's a very interesting wear pattern on the front. they now shimmy alarmingly over white lines.

I will more than likely go back to Anakees but the Tourance Next has been recommended both pretty much a 90/10 tyre which is about as much off road my 955 gets

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Just to jump on Reds thread, I have a 2010 F650gs. Can’t remember without going to look what tyres on it now but they definitely more road oriented than off road. Have found myself chucking the thing into corners with increasing confidence as I get used to the bike and so far the tyres behaved impeccably (I think their limits exceed mine)..... on dry tarmac.
Just started to get confident enough on the bike to have scared myself trying some (very easy) trails locally.
I think if I’m going to get into this green Laning thing I’m going to need something more like a 50/50 tyre ?…(I’d guess the current ones more 90/10). I will probably actually do more like 90/10 as this is a utility bike as well as a toy, but am prepared to sacrifice a little bit of paved performance for feeling a bit more secure on the occasions I do venture off road.
But for a relative noob with a limited budget it isn’t obvious what to choose. I know it’s subjective but any advice/recommendations gladly received.
Cheers
Fred
Cone

Post by Cone »

FatFreddy wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm Just to jump on Reds thread, I have a 2010 F650gs. Can’t remember without going to look what tyres on it now but they definitely more road oriented than off road. Have found myself chucking the thing into corners with increasing confidence as I get used to the bike and so far the tyres behaved impeccably (I think their limits exceed mine)..... on dry tarmac.
Just started to get confident enough on the bike to have scared myself trying some (very easy) trails locally.
I think if I’m going to get into this green Laning thing I’m going to need something more like a 50/50 tyre ?…(I’d guess the current ones more 90/10). I will probably actually do more like 90/10 as this is a utility bike as well as a toy, but am prepared to sacrifice a little bit of paved performance for feeling a bit more secure on the occasions I do venture off road.
But for a relative noob with a limited budget it isn’t obvious what to choose. I know it’s subjective but any advice/recommendations gladly received.
Cheers
Fred
Fat Freddy for a BMW its a Karoo 3. I had 6000 miles out of the rear of mine and they were great off road feeling like road tyres!
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

3 or 4 of us from the north west have all recently changed to pirell scorpion rally str.nobody has a bad word to say about them.[thanks rederic].cant talk about longevity yet but an excellent tyre.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I've also heard great things about the Rally STR, its a pity they are only available in limited sizes. The Scorpion Rally (-STR) don't get such good reviews. Having only got 1100km from a Karoo T, I may try the Karoo 3 if they wear as well as Cone says.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “TECHNICAL”