Anyone done a DC conversion on an exc?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mad Hatter

Anyone done a DC conversion on an exc?

Post by Mad Hatter »

As per the title really, I've got an 08 450exc that I want to get some more juice out of to run better lights and a couple of other bits so I was looking at rewinding the stator, floating the ground and doing the DC conversion. I know I can buy the trail tech kit but I've got a friend who'll rewind my stator as a favour and a few reg/recs sitting around anyway.

I was going to wait until winter and do it with some other jobs but I've had an oil leak from the generator side case so its off and I may as well do it now, but I remember reading somewhere about some issues with the CDI and the electric start and was wondering if anyone had had any problems basically.

So has anyone done it? Any problems? Would you bother?
johnnyboxer

Re: Anyone done a DC conversion on an exc?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Best ask on AdvRider, someone will have done it or not
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bowber

Post by bowber »

Yes I've done it on my 04 400.
Trailtech RR and the instructions off the UK seller.

You join the battery charge and lighting circuit together and add extra windings to one, the RR plugs into the normal wiring on the later bikes, on mine I had to remove the original plug from the loom, and then all the output goes through the RR to the battery and the lights are fed from an extra wire on the RR that has a timer on so that when you start the bike the lighting circuit is fed from the battery via this extra wire and then when it stops the timer cuts the circuit after around 30 seconds.
Works great and makes wiring LED's in much better as they run on full wave rather than 1/2 wave.

Steve

For the price of the trailtech RR I'd not bother trying to mess around with other RR's that don't have the timer.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Yeah I had another look at the TT one and the price and a look at when I actually want it done by so I'm giving the guy from the trail tech distributor another call next week to see if they've got any in, it makes sense being reasonably plug and play.

Did you have any problems with the e start originally? I've noticed one or two mentions online about the ECU occasionally playing up with the e start just after the conversion.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I'm not sure about the later motor but the RFS CDI feed is totally seperate from the rest so there shouldn't be any interaction.
I've had no problems with the electric start either, nothing has changed there as it was always fed directly fron the battery via the start relay.

Steve
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

This is a pointless endeavour. There are plenty of decent LED lights which will be fine with the current power output.
bowber

Post by bowber »

Mike54 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 pm This is a pointless endeavour. There are plenty of decent LED lights which will be fine with the current power output.
You might he right Mike but I did mine to have more power at the battery, the DC lights was just a benefit, my headlight is better for being on the battery circuit though as it still works for a short time after the motor has stopped, but I'm just using mine for trail riding.

Steve
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Cheers Steve that wasy only real concern in all honesty.

Yes Mike there are plenty of LED lights that will run from the tiny AC feed, and I could start sticking in caps and diodes on it to drive cooling fans for the rads and a charging system for an electronic roadbook setup like the rally blitz one or even just for the motors on a standard electric roadbook holder and an ico or 2.

Or I could run all that from the 2A DC circuit that charges the battery and never be able to use the estart because the battery would always be flat because its obviously pointless to simplify the system and make it useable for what I want.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Mate, a roadbook uses milliamps. Ditto a tripmeter.

Return to “TECHNICAL”