Electrics !!!!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
PHILinFRANCE

Electrics !!!!

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Here's a wierd one , getting kitted up and checking the Donk ready for the TET , section France Italy , took it out for a run and she ate the battery !!! bummped off easy enough , got home and started going over every thing , i have another loom of D1 so swapped all the little black boxes , rectifier, doids , fuses and anything else that was changable , everything else works ,lights ,horn indicators ect turn key = green neutral light and nothing on button !!! even swapped the right hand switch set to see if start button was knackered.

Tried arching across main feed/solanoid (thingy) and she spins fine ...................left it tonight with 70% of the loom uncovered looking for a brake !!!

HELP !!!

I'm going to do a full loom swap unless someone knows better

Cheers Phil
Tramp

Re: Electrics !!!!

Post by Tramp »

When my ccm had major headaches last year with batterys going flat i swapped regulator etc... It turned out to be the battery positive lead earthing across frame...

I reccon you have a positive feed that is earthing out so shorting somewhere.... Check that birds nest behind the screen... Or for chapping on loom at headstock etc...

Best of luck mate... Check the positive feed from ignition to kill switch... One of my pins was loose last week, bike cut out evertime i turned bars lol.... I just removed the connector box and crimped wires.... Simple is best for us simple folks...
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Phil , have you tried changing the starter solenoid , it could be going to earth and flattening the battery , take the lead off that comes from battery , see if it sparks as you take it off solenoid terminal , have you checked loom where it goes to neutral switch in casing ? , i will keep thinking. Bob
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Good luck with that one buddy, just my thoughts but got be something with a big draw if it flattens battery that quick, because surely the battery would be getting a charge as your riding, not as if it was dead after leaving it for a week !! Might even be battery not holding a charge, if you got another battery see if it does the same. Hope this helps.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings Phil,

I am not going to try and teach "grandma to suck eggs" :shock:

To test any electrical circuit you must ensure that you have a fully charged and serviceable battery of the type recommended for the vehicle. By fully charged a battery will normally require 10 hours of external charging off the vehicle, with your bike I assume that it does not have any fancy alarm, radio, sat-nav, etc, of a modern car but still disconnect it from both leads. Whilst disconnected check those battery leads for damage etc and 'clean' the earth to frame point. A fully charged serviceable battery should give you a potential voltage of around 13.5V to 14v after being off charge for an hour or so, let the battery 'rest' before testing after charging.

Ensure that the loom and all of its connectors are clean and dry, looking for damaged outer sleeve insulation, especially near the exhaust, steering headstock or suspension points as leads often fail near those places. Almost forgot to mention recheck side stand and clutch lever wiring.

When satisfied that the battery is fully serviceable connect an inlined fused ammeter in series between the battery and earth, check the rate of discharge, the higher the reading the stronger the draw. If you do not have a fuse lined ammeter try a bulb or horn, the brighter or louder the greater the discharge. Try disconnecting various connectors starting with the feed to the starter solenoid and then move through the loom disconnecting and/or twisting the loom. Eventually the reading/light/or noise should stop indicating the probable faulty lead or circuit. Additionally check for continuity between earth and both sides of any item, eg with the ignition on you should get a reading on the feed side to the solenoid but not between the casing and earth nor on the lead to the starter motor, unless the switch is engaged.

Testing of electrical systems is time consuming and needs a logical approach, plenty of cups of tea and verbal expressions of profanity, no child nor those of a delicate nature to be in the vicinity :lol:

Come back to us with your findings and I am sure that one or more of us will be pleased try to guide you further.

TTFN

Hugh.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hugh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am Testing of electrical systems is time consuming and needs a logical approach,
Oh Well...
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hugh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am plenty of cups of tea and verbal expressions of profanity
No problem...
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Hugh wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am no child nor those of a delicate nature to be in the vicinity :lol:
Too late. He's probably got through at least three children by now...
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Have you checked the Stator feed, could be cooking the battery, the wiggle test has always been good to me, good luck, hope you get it sorted buddy 8-)

Electrics = Black magic wizardry... :lol:
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

daveuprite wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:57 am
Too late. He's probably got through at least three children by now...
The donkeys in the field opposite are staying right over the other side in case the ' big hammer' comes into play :mrgreen:
one-legged adventurer

Return to “TECHNICAL”