Lowering f650gs seat

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
FatFreddy

Lowering f650gs seat

Post by FatFreddy »

Calling all bmw gurus.
I’m pretty sure I’m getting an F650gs soon.
When reading the specs it alway says seat height = ??cm-??cm ( sorry, it’s late, I forget the exact measurements). Now is this something one can adjust easily ones self? Or is it determined by something like which seat option you choose when buying a new one and therefore not adjustable later?
Hope that not too stupid a question..... I await your wisdom, thanks.
Earwig

Re: Lowering f650gs seat

Post by Earwig »

Low seat versions were a factory option. Later changes need to be done by somebody who knows what they are doing as it means changing the suspension heights

I'm 5' 11' and can get my feet on the ground when the bikes on its centre stand (and thats with the comfort seat, which makes the bike 15mm taller) They are tall, but are also narrow, so reduces the effect of the height :)
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Thanks, sat on one today and could almost flat foot it, so all good :)
Looking at one with comfort saddle at weekend so we'll see what differenc the extra mm's make.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Bought the one with the comfort saddle and can confirm it made virtually no difference....except that the comfort saddle restricts yr movement, keeps your bum planted in one place. So I'll be using the standard saddle if I'm just having a laugh locally, I like to shift my weight about on the twisty bits. Will save the comfort saddle for motorways etc.
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

FatFreddy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:17 pm Bought the one with the comfort saddle and can confirm it made virtually no difference....except that the comfort saddle restricts yr movement, keeps your bum planted in one place. So I'll be using the standard saddle if I'm just having a laugh locally, I like to shift my weight about on the twisty bits. Will save the comfort saddle for motorways etc.
Nice one :)

How a bout some pics?

Enjoy mate .. There a very underrated piece of kit
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (203.87 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
Earwig wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 pm
FatFreddy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:17 pm Bought the one with the comfort saddle and can confirm it made virtually no difference....except that the comfort saddle restricts yr movement, keeps your bum planted in one place. So I'll be using the standard saddle if I'm just having a laugh locally, I like to shift my weight about on the twisty bits. Will save the comfort saddle for motorways etc.
Nice one :)

How a bout some pics?

Enjoy mate .. There a very underrated piece of kit
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (200.83 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

And I'm quite pleased about this.....
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

I have a factory low seat in my garage that belongs to my lad if your interested.cheers tony
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

anthony29040 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 pm I have a factory low seat in my garage that belongs to my lad if your interested.cheers tony
The one I bought came with 2 saddles, standard and and comfort. Tbf I can virtually flat foot it on the standard saddle. The comfort saddle is a little higher but that less of a problem on paved roads.
I’m not sure I can justify a 3rd saddle to the Mrs just yet, (unless you virtually giving it away?) but thanks for the offer.

Return to “TECHNICAL”