HELP, Engine Problem

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
HedgeHopper

Re: HELP, Engine Problem

Post by HedgeHopper »

Not sure about that, If they were stuck together how would the bike be easy to push when in gear?
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

My original idea was that the clutch plates could be stuck together, so I let it run for a while, gave it some good revs, pull the clutch a few times and when finally put it into gear, it cuts instantly... Tried this a few times... and it rolls easily when in gear with the engine off! :? :(
Cone

Post by Cone »

Now this may not be helpful but I had a similar problem when i was 17 on my TS50x

So the engine got too hot one day and the flange warped on the carb, so i filed it down to make it flat.

Subsequently when ever the engine got hot and you opened the throttle it stalled as the flange was too thin and changed shape, closed the throttle and it ran, the problem isnt identicle but it could be a fuel starvation or mixture problem..?
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

Is there a switch on the clutch lever if so disconnect that some bikes have a clutc switch and can cause this issue
Every day is an adventure
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

just whip the clutch out about 30 mins work . if not short the clutch switch . if you roll it downhill will it bump start and the go in gear and then ride ok ?
herman

Post by herman »

Does sound like a very sticky clutch but have you checked the cable and actuator ? Weird that it cuts instantly though, does it have a gear position indicator?
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Sounds to me like two separate faults because I can't see how the two are related.
1. Something in the side stand switch wiring is telling it the side stand is down.
2. Something in the clutch/gearbox is broken or stuck.
3. Gearbox output sprocket is loose.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

When its running and you put it in gear, does it stop with a bump like you just rammed it straight into gear, or does it stop like you've got the kill switch?

I'm leaning davecon's way atm
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

If its in gear and the clutch lever is left alone---and it pushes easily then thats odd--a seized set of plates (or stuck)-and the clutch would NOT disengage--you seem to have the opposite. Its almost as though the clutch release mechanism/cable is seized "open"---does the clutch have any resistance when pulled?. The cutting out problem does sound like a sidestand switch issue--check that its making an open/closed circuit when operated--simple meter job.
mancunian?

Post by mancunian? »

Sounds to me like the clutch plates have stuck, imho it is easy to push when in gear because the auto decompressor is engaging as it should 😉

Return to “TECHNICAL”